Chapter Fifty-Eight

That was it, and there wasn't an escape either. Not that anyone would want to get away from something as exciting as getting oneself turned into a piece of art. Standing at the edge of the art room, I scanned the beautifully arranged supplies. The natural light awarded by the bright sun outside was enough to lighten up the room.

I watched Jake set up a blank canvas on the easel, followed by a set of charcoal pencils with varying degrees of hardness. I couldn't stop imagining that one perfect image of Jake leaning against the headboard of his bed and sketching with great concentration. He looked so intense but soft at the same time. That was the first time I had wanted to watch him the same way every single day.

I pulled out of my thoughts as Jake dragged out his drafting stool along with a couple of bar stools and pushed one towards me. He looked all enthusiastic but calm at the same time. The satisfying smile on his lips was something I had never seen before. Maybe it was the warm and comforting atmosphere of the room. But Jake sure appeared as a whole new person. Someone who wasn't being too rude or too complicated but someone who knew what was important to him and was passionate enough to put all his heart and soul into it.

"So, do you draw or paint here often?" I asked, settling on the barstool he pulled out for me. My eyes were still busy taking in the details of the room. I had already taken a sneak into the room before, but the first time mostly was self-exploratory. "It seems like no one had touched these supplies for days. Everything looks perfectly arranged. When was the last time you've been here?"

For a moment, his hands gripped the corners of the canvas tightly. "I used to paint but haven't done it in a while. Now, I only draw that too, not very often. My mom set up this room when I got my first painting displayed in an art exhibition. She was pretty excited about it, and as a gift, she created this beautiful place for me. I often come here when I miss her, or I miss myself."

Jake's eyes traversed every corner, every detail of the room, and then settled on my face. It was the first time he had paid proper attention to me in the artistic light of the room. His black orbs were heavy with unknown emotions, and I could sense the vulnerability in them. "Thank you, Amy, for giving it all back to me."

I looked at him dazedly. For a moment, I thought I heard it wrong, but no, he was thanking me. But why was he thanking me?

A long moment of silence stretched between us as I locked gazes with Jake. His charcoal eyes reflected a myriad of emotions. He finally loosened his grip on the canvas and took few slow strides towards me. His strong intoxicating scent once again heightened my senses and made me look up at him in pure amazement.

I watched him intently as he held the pencil between his lips and tilted his head to the side, observing my flushed face with soft eyes. Without saying a word, he reached out for my brown locks with both of his hands, brushing my skin in a tingling sensation in the process. He pulled up my hair very carefully, twisting it up in a bun, and then secured it up with the pencil.

The entire time my eyes never left his face, and my heart kept thudding wildly against my chest. After he was through with my hair, he cupped my face gently with both of his warm hands. He brushed my cheeks with the pads of his thumbs.

"Perfect," He mumbled, placing a soft kiss on my forehead. "Let's begin, shall we?"

He had already put his spell on me so, all I could do was exhale a strangled breath and nod to his words.

"Is it okay if I-" I trailed off as a sudden tremor of embarrassment surged through me. My fingers were holding the hem of Jake's shirt I wore tightly.

A throaty chuckle replaced the silence of the room. Jake shook his head and settled on his drafting stool behind the easel.

"You can keep the clothes on. I don't want to make you uncomfortable. Moreover, I want to draw you in my clothes. But if you want otherwise, I don't mind that either." Jake said with a subtle smirk dancing on his lips.