Chapter Twenty

It was almost evening by the time I made a quick trip to the stores. I needed to get some new clothes, nothing fancy, a pair of jeans and my usual choice of shirts. Also, while going through the stack of clothing, I remembered I had lost my favorite Leather Jacket at the last party. That Jacket meant a lot to me as I got it from the money I received selling my very first novel. The fact that I no more had it made me pout a little, but nothing could bring it back. Surely no other Jacket could replace it either.

Something about those parties always made me edgy, and that day wasn't any different. More so, when the last one I went to wasn't fun at all. But for obvious reasons, I was pretty excited about the party, more specifically about meeting new like-minded people. Sebastian was lucky for me, and I was glad to meet him.

So basically, going to the party wasn't the real reason for my excitement going with someone I was comfortable with was. Going to parties wasn't something I would have done with my own free will. I would rather spend my time writing cliche romance, reading classic novels for the nth time, and watching rom coms than getting drunk with people I could hardly connect.

Before I could banter more about my views over partying, my phone rang, startling me. It was my mom, and that same guilty feeling crept into my mind. I had to make up a story for tonight to escape her drama. I was already nauseous due to the bus travel I had to endure to visit the store and return to the campus. And not to mention, I had to rush to the dorms if I wanted to make it to the party, not looking like a zombie. I still had three hours to rest a bit and get ready on time. My punctuality showed up only during something that wasn't related to classes or work. Thank god! my mom wasn't a mind reader or, else I would be dead.

"Hey, mom," I said with a wavering voice. I hoped Molly covered up for the last time.

"Hi Amy, how's college? I hope you are catching up to the syllabus." She spoke in her usual business-like tone.

"Yes, mom, it's going perfect, and I'm also fine," I said, pun intended.

"That's good, and just know that we miss you here."

"I miss you guys too. How's Josh?"

"He's fine. His classes are starting tomorrow." She sounded contended, which was a good sign.

"Sweetheart, be careful and stay away from trouble. We are proud of you. Remember that." She was back to her cryptic ways of telling me to behave and be the nice girl she wanted to see in me. But why she had to rub that on my face always. As if I'm not trying to be what she wanted. A party couldn't possibly change the fact that I care for my future.

"Mom, please not again," I whine, unlocking my room mindlessly.

"What the fuck...? " my voice came out more like a scream. The moment I opened the door, I saw Jake sitting on the edge of Leah's bed while she was straddling him. His hands were on her waist, and she kept her hands tangled up in his curls. They both were full-on making out until my voice broke them apart. I rushed out of the room in shock and shut the door with a bang.

"Mom, I'll call you later." I disconnected the call. I could hear her through the line, scolding me for swearing. But my mind wasn't functioning. What was that? What was he doing in my room? No, no, no, that wasn't good. It had to be a mistake. It had to be my imagination. But then the scenario played once again in my mind, and I felt a sudden rush of anger. I wasn't sure why but, I so wanted to throw him out of the room.

"You can come inside. It's your room, after all," Jake shouted from inside, and I could sense the ridicule in his voice. The guy had no shame. Every time we met, he either mocked me or was busy making out with someone.

I dashed inside the room, shooting a glare at him. He had the nerve to smirk at my face. Thank god they were now sitting separately. I felt sad for Leah. She looked embarrassed even so when I gave her a disapproving look.

"Why are you still with him? Didn't he break your heart already?" I asked her, throwing my bag a little too harsh I wasn't good at containing my rage.

"I broke your heart? Seriously?" Jake rolled his eyes and gave a lazy look at her.

"Amy, can we not talk about this. Moreover, we are not together. He just came here, then we talked and..."

"And then she made a move on me." He completed for her with a flat face. He didn't look even a single bit embarrassed.

"Aren't you so full of yourself?" I scoffed at him.

"Aren't you getting feisty about something that shouldn't bother you?"

"Oh! It very much does. You are mean to my friend." I was not letting him insult my roommate. "Also, this is my room as well, and I don't want to see you here."

"Is that the only reason you're upset?" His voice turned deep. He ran his hand through his hair and took a step closer to me. Once again, red alarms went wild in my mind. Why did he always have to do something like that?

"Yes," I mumbled, not very sure about my words. Wasn't that the only reason I was upset, or was there something else?

"Guys, that's enough," Leah interrupted. I almost forgot she was still there. "Jake, I think you should go," she added.

"Yeah... I should," he said, stepping closer. He was looking into my eyes as he took a few more steps towards me while I was struggling to prevent myself from gazing at the new set of tattoos on his neck. My throat turned dry the moment his face came to my side, only a few inches away from my ear. What was he doing? I stiffened due to the closeness between us. The room suddenly felt too hot to stay. It took all my willpower not to turn towards him. Before I almost gave in, he straightened up, securing something from the bed behind me.

"I came to return your Jacket. You left it at the party last weekend." His voice was deep and low. He handed it to me with an amused expression.

It took me some time to process whatever happened. Even in my wildest imagination, I couldn't picture Jake coming to my dorm to return my lost Jacket. I looked at him, baffled by his actions.

"You owe me a thank you," he said with a grin rushing out of the room before I could collect my scattered mind.