Chapter Forty-Seven

Inferno, if the name had any less creepy ring to it, the place surpassed that. When we first narrowed into the sketchy areas of downtown LA, I knew right then that it wasn't very wise of me to join Seb. That feeling only grew as we stepped inside the dingy club emersed in neon red lights. The entire place was covered in dense smoke and steam, making the club look like a devil's den. The floor underneath our feet vibrated with the impact of the loud bass that turned my ears numb. I almost cowered behind Seb, who kept his hand in front of me defensively to stop the rogue crowd from toppling over my petite 5'3'' frame.

All around the place, I could see people dancing on the beat, some of them lurking at the corners while others sat at the bar drinking and ogling at the sweaty, half-naked girls. I pulled Seb's suit a little more around my body as a few hungry eyes darted in my way.

We pushed our way through the crowd and reached the far end of the room. I could see an iron staircase leading to the basement of the club. There were two heavily built scary-looking bouncers guarding the stairs. Both of them looked identical in all black from top to bottom. I gulped, looking at the taut muscles of their biceps bulging through the rolled-up sleeves of their black shirt. The intimidating look on their faces showed there wasn't any chance for us to go down those stairs without trouble. My heart thumped wildly with the anticipation of what awaited in the basement. I wondered in which corner of the club exactly Jake was and the thought that he had been hanging out in that place for the last three days turned my blood cold.

"Amy, please stay by my side at all times. I told you, this place isn't just a party. It gets scarier as we go down those stairs." Seb bent down and warned me with his amber eyes boring into mine. I could sense the concern in his voice as he scanned the place once more before heading towards the stairs.

"Sebastian!" a gruff voice emerged from the crowd.

Seb squeezed his eyes tightly and took a deep breath before turning towards the man. I followed his action to face a guy clad in a white button-up shirt tucked neatly in his black slacks. He had light blond stubbles as his short blond hair. Compared to Seb, who towered the guy with his 6'1'' height, he was small.

"Alexander," Seb replied with a tight-lipped smile. He stood in front of me, most likely to hide me behind his tensed stance.

Alexander returned a smirk, moving his eyes from Seb towards me. His eyes observed me with a cunning gaze. "You brought your Cinderella to Inferno. Kinky, I see."

I glared at him, gritting my teeth. What did he mean by kinky? I felt like choking him to death.

"That's none of your business. You know why I'm here, Alexander. So, cut the crap and tell me where's Jake." Seb said, gnashing his teeth. A small muscle in his jaw tightened as he pinned down Alexander with his burning gaze.

"He is where he belongs," Alexander took a step towards Seb. His expressions were unwavering, and his stance was as relaxed as before. "In the pit."

Pit. A sudden curiosity hit my nerves, and I ran through the database of my mind, but I couldn't relate the word with anything.

"We are going downstairs," Seb announced.

"By all means, suit yourself," Alexander scowled and gestured towards the staircase. "But given the history you guys share, don't you enjoy letting him have his fill now and then." Seb shot him a warning gaze.

"Just saying." He added, raising his hand in amusement. His words tightened my heart with the feeling of being the only person who knew nothing about Jake.

"Thankfully, some of us prefer not to burn in hatred." Seb spat before directing me towards the staircase.

"Don't worry. I got your back. Just stick to my side." He held on to my sweaty hands as we descended the stairs. Nervousness crawled within my bones, and I could feel my heartbeat accelerating. The booming bass faded as we reached the end and proceeded through the dimly lit hallway. The music replaced loud cheering and hollering coming from the room ahead. We soon emerged into a much wider space packed with a sturdy crowd. Given my tiny frame, my vision for what they were cheering for blocked. I could only see a crazy crowd howling and hooting at whatever fun show they were watching.