chapter twenty-two.

| river |

I looked at the notepad she handed to me and waited for a few seconds until I heard the main door shut and the lock clicked.

"You do what you think is best."

But is that what she really wants?

I picked up my phone and dialled Kane's number. "Hey man, how is she?" He asked straight away.

"What happened between you, your girlfriend, and Nyah is none of my business. You chose not to tell her, that's on you." I said firmly.

I did not call him to hear his sappy apology for his dumb behaviour.

Granted I believe Nyah can be dramatic and this is one of her moments, but I'll forever defend her.

"I need you to drop your girl and come to my place with the guys," I cut the phone before he could say anything else. I threw on a sleeveless top and headed to the gym on the ground floor.

I've wanted to find him for so long.

I would've dropped everything and chased him for months just to get the satisfaction for watching the bastard pay. Killing him with my own bare hands.

I think Nyah knows what I'm going to do, but she isn't trying to stop me. I don't know if it's because she has other stuff to deal with, or because she wants this too.

A sharp pain erupted in my wrist and I hissed in pain as I step away from the punching bag. I heard a knock on the main door and tore off the tape wrapped around my hands and headed towards the door. I opened the door and most of my men walked in.

"Woah, take off your shoes," I shouted and they all looked at me. "Sorry, boss. You a clean freak now?" One of them said and they all laugh.

"Nyah will kill all of you if there's mud on the tiles." I shrugged as I locked the door and they all took off their shoes and headed to the main seating area.

When the interior designer was here, I asked for a specific room where I can hold meetings for situations like this. A desk area for me, tables and seats for everyone else and a screen where I can project documents, files, videos, anything. "Okay shut up," I said and everyone was silent.

Camila bursted into the room and stopped as she saw everyone. "Sorry I'm late," Kane said as he brushed past her and took a seat.

"Do you know where I can find Nyah?" She asked.

"She went out," I said simply.

I'm not involved in whatever is happening between them. I also don't care.

I won't lie, neither of them have a valid reason for hiding their relationship from her but as I said, I don't care.

"Oh, okay," she said quietly and left and shut the door. "Mason is back," I said and everyone turned their focus away from Camila's awkward departure.

"He's only here for three days so we need to figure out what we're going to do with him," I reported as I loaded up the pictures Serena forwarded of his train tickets, address and any extra information she found onto the board.

"So what, are we cutting him off?" One asked and I shrugged.

"What did Nyah say about this?" Kane asked. "She left the situation up to me," I answered simply as I sat down.

"Find any information that you can on him. I want locations, card transactions, recent visits. I want to know what he's doing at all times. Then I'll decide whether I want him dead or not." I muttered and I walked out of the room.

I walked into the kitchen and opened the fridge.

"Camila, stop hiding in my house," I said loudly and she emerged from the large cupboard full of food.

"I'm sorry, I thought she would be here. I-" She began and I slammed the bottle of water down on the table. "No. Don't apologise to me," I warned.

"I don't give a shit who you are. You hurt my girlfriend so her problems become my problems. This one, in particular, is not my business so I don't want to hear about it. I suggest you go and find her and sort out your shit cause trust me, you do not want to be one of my problems." I finished as I walked past her.

I wouldn't call what just happened me 'threatening' her. It was just a simple warning.

| nyah |

I peered curiously at the multiple black SUVs parked in our driveway as I parked in our private garage.

"Hello?!" I shouted as I entered through the back door and walked through the kitchen and into the meeting room.

"Hey, guys." I waved as I saw the guys seated in the room.

"Where were you?" One asked as I dropped my gym bag. "Had an appointment with a client. A guy tryna lose 40 pounds." I answered as I retied my hair.

"Home already?" River mumbled as he appeared behind me and I nodded. "Don't touch me, I'm sweaty. I'm gonna shower then I'll be back." I said as I kissed him softly.

As expected, all the guys teased us and made weird kissy noises and I flipped them off as I picked up my bag.

"She's upstairs." River whispered in my ear as I walked past and my mood dropped.

Great.

"I'll handle it," I responded simply and headed upstairs to our room.

I didn't even make it to the top of the stairs, before I caught her standing outside our room door. "You should really go home. It's getting late." I mumbled as I walked past her and entered my room.

Lucky me, she followed me inside too.

"Can you please talk to me? I don't understand what I did wrong-"

"No! No, you don't, you wanna know why?" I asked as I dropped my bag and advanced towards her. "It's because it always has to be about you! Sure, I can say the same for myself, because I can be selfish sometimes, but you know what? I could NEVER hide something this big from you."

"I didn't wanna tell you because sometimes, you don't take things well! You lash out for no reason!" She argued back and I scoffed.

"What like I'm doing right now?!" I countered and she sighed as I sat on our bed.

"You just got out of the hospital. You were drugged, almost raped and manipulated by someone who was once your close friend."

"I didn't ask for a walk down memory lane," I muttered as she sat next to me. "What good would it do if I added to your problems?" She questioned.

She wasn't wrong.

"I'm not mad that you're dating him. I don't even care that much. But as you can see, I have a lot on my plate. If you wanna cry to someone, you have a boyfriend now, so I won't be in the way of the relationship you so desperately wanted to hide from me." I said as I got up and headed to the door.

"Come on Ny, let it go." She said and I stopped at the door.

"I can just about tolerate your presence in my house. Don't push it." I muttered as I shut the door loudly.