chapter nineteen.

| river |

"I meant what I said," I sighed as I walked through the hospital doors. "I tried explaining the story, and then I told her about the car and it went downhill from then."

Camila began cursing under her breath as I unlocked my car and sat in the driver's seat.

"Nyah doesn't want to believe that it was Mason. In her eyes, he's physically incapable of harming anyone, even though she gave him a very good reason to retaliate. I don't think it's a good idea to tell her the full story." I reasoned.

"But she has to know it was him," Serena said on the other line.

"What if it actually wasn't him?" Camila suggested.

"None of this makes sense!" Serena groaned loudly and I leaned forward and tugged on my hair.

I'm stuck.

I can't go after this Mason guy, I can't convince Nyah that I didn't cheat on her and that I love being with her, I can't even decide what to do next in this situation.

"Are you still in the hospital?" Camila asked and I hummed in response.

"Okay, umm don't talk about last night until you both get home in the evening. I don't know- Just try to make her feel alive again." She said in an unsure voice and I raised my eyebrow.

"How the hell do I do that?"

"Hey, listen I gotta go. You'll figure it out. Send me pics!" She said and the line went dead.

"Make her feel alive"?? What the hell does that mean?

I went back inside and into Nyah's room. Surprisingly, she was up again.

With her arms folded.

She looked up at me as I shut the door and pointed to the seat. "Sit. We're not done." She said bluntly.

It's gonna be hard to say this...

"I actually can't stay. I gotta go somewhere but I'll be back to pick you up." I said as I texted Kane. "Don't bother." She sighed and I looked at her as I locked my phone and put it in my pocket. She was staring out at the window and it's clear she'd rather be anywhere but here.

"I'm sorry-"

"Just go River." She whispered and I took one last look at her before slowly closing the door behind me. "It'll be worth it after tonight," I mumbled to myself as I walked out and towards my car.

𐐒𐐚 ° ˚ ₒ ∞ 𐐒𐐚 ° ˚ ₒ ∞ 𐐒𐐚

"Never thought of you as the romantic type." Kane teased as he shut the door behind him. I've spent the last 3 hours going out shopping and trying to make the house look more romantic. "I don't know how I plan to top this on Valentine's Day," I muttered as I lit another candle.

"Sooo, what's the occasion?" Kane asked as he sat on the sofa and took a chocolate-covered strawberry that was in the glass bowl on the counter.

"Well, my so-called girlfriend almost died last night," I said sarcasticlly.

"Camila said I have to 'make her feel alive again'. So, this is what I came up with." I shrugged.

"So, date night?" He questioned and I nodded.

It's nice to have a friend once in a while.

The doorbell ringed and Kane looked at me but I shrugged. I slowly approached the door and unlocked it and Camila bursted in.