chapter thirty-eight.

"Is he giving you a hard time?" River pestered and I was very close to losing it. "No, he's fine. He'll be gone by the end of the week," I answered.

For good.

"Maybe him being alone wherever you left him isn't a good idea. We should be able to keep an eye on him," He suggested and I stopped walking around our room.

"So you want him here like the others?" I asked with my arm folded and he instantly held his hands in the air. "If you're asking whether I trust you," He began as he slowly approached me.

I wasn't. You shouldn't.

"The answer is yes. I know you know what you're doing," He said as he wrapped his arms around me and I sighed deeply. "Then let me keep him where he is now." I said quietly and he looked at me with a disappointed smile. "I trust you," He repeated as he let go of me and walked out of our room, tugging on his hair.

No, he doesn't.

And he has every right not to.

𐐒𐐚 ° ˚ ₒ ∞ 𐐒𐐚 ° ˚ ₒ ∞ 𐐒𐐚

"Hey where you going?" Serena asked as she strolled out of the kitchen and I froze. "Y-You're not supposed to be here," I stammered as I pointed towards her and she raised her eyebrow at me. "What's going on?" Camila asked as she strolled out of the kitchen too, with a shirtless Kane behind her.

What is happening?

"Guys, you all can go home. I-It's been like three days since the opening. You know that right?" I asked as I checked my watch and nobody responded.

"So where are you off to?" Kane asked as he scanned my attire and I rolled my eyes.

"I have a job. Not that you would know anything about that," I grumbled as I headed for the door. "I do have a job," He yelled back and I rolled my eyes as I unlocked the door. "Chilling in an abandoned warehouse and killing people for fun with your fraternity friends doesn't count as a job," I shot back before slamming the door shut.

I marched to my car and didn't stop before speeding out of the driveway.

I kept driving until I arrived at my place and Mason opened the door for me as I walked straight past him and into the kitchen. "You okay?" He asked curiously as I started pulling various items out of the fridge.

I quickly whipped up a protein shake and turned on the blender. "Sorry I can't hear you!" I yelled over the loud whirring of the blender and he rolled his eyes.

He walked away and I checked he was gone before turning off the blender. I pulled out my drink and started quickly drinking it when he reappeared. "You gotta talk to me eventually!" He yelled as I rushed past him.

I spent the next two hours working out and then I showered and changed into a pair of jeans and a vest top.

"Nyah!" Mason called from downstairs and I rolled my eyes and headed down the stairs. He opened the door and a tall man in a suit walked in. "Miss Stevens, I'm here to finish the last of the interior designs," He said firmly and I nodded.

"Hi, the room's just upstairs," I said as I pointed towards the top of the stairs. He nodded his head as he began climbing the stairs and walked past me.

Mason climbed up the stairs until he was just below me. His large hands guided themselves up to my thighs and rested on my hips. I gasped slightly as I moved to remove his hands. "We need to talk," He muttered as he brushed past me and continued up the stairs.

It sounded more like an order rather than a suggestion.

I quickly headed up the stairs and joined the designer in the room that needed to be finished. We spent the next two hours discussing design patterns before heading down to the basement.

"This is the last area I want done," I said as I opened the double doors and revealed the wide space. "What we're you envisioning?" He asked as I looked around.

"This doesn't have to be similar to the other rooms. I want this place to have colour," I explained as I gestured to the room and he nodded. "You don't really need me for this, you can go crazy in here," I said and he nodded with a slight smile.

"Alright then, if that's all then I'll just see myself out," He finished and we exchanged goodbyes as he left me in the room. I stood there for a while and jumped slightly when I heard both doors shut. I spun around and Mason was there, fully dressed.

"You're making this harder for everyone," He sais as he slowly approached me and I found myself playing with the ends of my hair. "I'll be gone in like 4 days, so we can have a little fun and then I'll be gone forever," He suggested and I sighed.

"I don't want this," I said quietly and he stopped in front of me. "You're a liar," He said boldly and my eyes widened. "You said I'm the best sex you ever had," He reminded me and I groaned.

"And you," He continued as he pushed himself onto me. "Are so much better than I imagined,"  He finished.

"Let me do this," He whispered in my ear as his arms held onto me firmly. I found myself moving closer into his arms until he lifted me up and my legs hooked onto his sides. His hands cupped my ass and I kissed him.

"So you wanna do this?" He asked again as his lips left trails of kisses down my neck. "Just hurry up and get to my bedroom," I muttered as he carried me out of the room.