chapter thirteen.

| river |

I'm supposed to receive consistent updates and the last one I got was Nyah inside the truck.

That was four hours ago.

I paced around my office and started banging on the table and crashing things all over the place.

I'm not supposed to be this fucking paranoid.

I'm not supposed to react this way.

The fact that she seems to hate me so much makes it worse.

I've never been interested in girls that much, that she knows. Which is why she doesn't trust me.

She can't be dead.

She sold her life, doing this for me and now she might not even be alive to curse at me about it.

I heard noises from outside and raced out of my office. A large portion of the men that left were gone and the rest were all wounded and bruised.

"We got the truck." One said as he handed me the keys and walked away, with blood drenching his entire back.

My eyes widened at his scarlet footsteps staining the floors and my panicking intensified.

"Where's Kane?!" I shouted and all of them went quiet.

"Why the fuck isn't he answering? Where's the girl?" I yelled and nobody responded.

"She was shot." Someone mumbled but it's clear in the silent room.

"Shot? Shot where?!" I asked as I felt a slight lump in my throat. "A big bullet. To the shoulder. The ones that you take out wild animals with." The same man answered and I took a deep breath.

At least she's not dead.

"And another to her thigh."

You have got to be kidding me.

"What hospital?" I asked and they gave me the name and I marched out of the warehouse and headed straight to my car.

"Where the hell are you?" I asked as Kane finally picked up.

"She's patched up and at home sleeping." He answered softly. "Fine. I'll see you tomorrow." I finished and ended the call. I made it to the house in less than 5 minutes after running over every red light.

I quietly entered the house and the lights were all out. They flicked on and she was standing there. Her right shoulder was all bandaged up and some blood was seeping from the thick bandage around her left thigh.

"I'm sorry," she choked and stumbled slightly. I ran towards her and caught her before she plummeted to the floor.

"I wanted to get water." She mumbled and I sighed and carried her into her room.

I laid her down on her bed and headed back to the kitchen to get her water. I placed it on her bedside and headed back to the main room to look for her phone.

There's no way she can be seen until she's fully healed.

She's in her last year of school, she needs to pass finals and she has to graduate. I owe that to her after sending her off on a near-death journey.

Her phone didn't have a lock, which is ironic considering how many secrets she's keeping.

I pressed Camila's contact information and pressed call. I wait a few seconds for it to ring and when she answered, there's shuffling on the other line before she finally speaks.

"Hello?" She said and it's clear that I woke her. "Hey, um sorry to wake you." I cleared my throat and she paused before speaking. "River?" She asked with a confused voice and I hummed.