chapter two.

"Nyah! Where the hell have you been!"

Unlike Camila, I have more problems than the average person.

"I'm surprised caring about me was part of your job description," I responded as I shut the door.

"Stop assuming my presence in your life is temporary," She shot back.

"I would hate for you to think that your position is temporary, Melinda. I mean neither did Loren, Stephanie, Lisa, and Grace, but they're not here now are they?" I smiled at my stepmother and she glared at me as I took off my shoes.

"You better watch your mouth!" She screamed, indicating that my lovely father isn't home.

"Sweetie, it's not your fault," I assured her and her hard glare didn't waver. "He likes the idea of me having a mother figure, but he's not a committed man. You're just...collateral damage."

I grimaced as I eyed what seems to be some trashy excuse for lingerie underneath her robe before heading up the stairs.

"His favourite colour is pink by the way," I suggested as I gestured to her green lace showing and she gasped in horror and quickly covered up.

This has become such a normal thing that I'm not even affected. All these women that parade into the house come in thinking they're gonna control me.

Then my dad drops them after the three-month mark.

I changed into a pair of leggings and a sports bra and some trainers. Despite the always cold weather, it's always really hot around late April. I take my wireless headphones and connected them to my phone before heading downstairs.

"You need to throw those things out." My father motioned to the headphones around my neck whilst sitting at the dining table. My stepmother is nowhere to be seen, and daddy doesn't look happy.

"Why would you tell Melinda that I'm going to leave her? We haven't even been married for two full months." He asked sternly.

"I didn't say you'd leave her. I listed your previous wives that thought the same thing," I answered as I pressed play on my music and it faintly sounded through my headphones.

"That doesn't give you the right. You need to stop exercising so much, you're getting thinner." I rolled my eyes.

"One insult at a time, daddy," I shot back and he scoffed.

"Is this how much your mother wants you to weigh just to stand in front of a camera to take pictures?" He shook his head in disapproval whilst picking up today's paper. He's never been supportive of my other career choices, not that I care cause I'm done with that anyway. 

"I don't do that anymore," I finished and slammed the door on my way out.

The last thing I need is him dissing my Mother about the lifestyle choices that I chose. He doesn't know that I do kickboxing regularly at the gym and I'd like to keep it that way.

He already sees me as a disappointment.

My parents divorced about a year ago and my Mum left for Australia, to live with Grandma Josie. I used to fly out there all the time to do modeling for the holidays since it was better than staying here.

I recently stopped flying out for schoolwork but then I stopped modeling altogether. It just doesn't seem like something I would do and I don't have time for it anyway, with finals and graduation coming up.

The music pounding in my ear clouded my senses as I jogged my usual route down the road, through the park and to the gym. I chose a less crowded street since I am still a very self-conscious person, despite my toned body. I almost didn't realise a broad body crash into me and knock the wind out of me.