7. Routines

Published on:
Tue, 16 Feb.
The year 2021

Chapter 7|Routines

Eren's mother entered the room, her body was frozen for a split second. "What were you doing? Mikasa, why are you on Eren's back?"

Mikasa let herself slide off Eren's back and sat down on the floor. "She's helping me with the push-ups, Mom." Carla's body relaxed. Thank God, for a second she thought they were doing something inappropriate after closing the door like that. What was she thinking! They're only ten years old, for heaven's sake! She has to trust her son, she raised him better than that.

"I'm leaving to see a sick friend, I won't be back until dusk, will you be okay?" They nodded. "There's some bread and cheese in the cupboard, help yourselves if you're hungry."

"We'll be fine." Carla smiled, before closing the door behind her.

Eren was still in his pushup posture, they exchanged glances before Mikasa stood up and picked up her backpack.
His body tensed like if someone was holding a knife to his throat. Was she going to leave again? "Uh, where are you going?"

"Nowhere."

A sigh of relief escaped his nose as his body melted to the ground like butter. "I'm just going to read, that's all." "Aren't you going to help me with my push-ups?" She shook her head, a hint of pink shimmering across her cheeks. Well, not after his mother had caught her with that look, though she hadn't done anything wrong, she wouldn't do it again.

Eren could sense her unfamiliar composure, what had gotten into her, and why was she blushing again? "What are you reading?"

Her fingers clawed at the cover of the book, "Ancient Tales."

"Oh. So ancient tales are suddenly more interesting than helping me with my push-ups?" and there she goes, all red again.

He just can't understand why she suddenly didn't want to help him. She put her book aside the moment he first asked her. Eren looked at her as she hid her face behind her book. Why the hell is she blushing? Did he say something wrong? No, it was just a normal conversation.

"Mikasa?" Eren knocked on the bathroom door. "Wait!" "Oh, sorry, take your time." After a few minutes, he knocked again, but louder this time. "I have to go to the bathroom now! Get out!" At that moment, the door was yanked open. He didn't wait for her, but got in and pushed her out of the bathroom, closing the door behind him.

He took off his pants, sat down on the toilet, and drained his pee when he spotted her book on the shelf. Why did she have this book all around her? Ancient stories couldn't be that fun, could they?

After washing up and drying his hands, he opened the black book and strange letters appeared before his eyes. What the hell kind of language is this?! Where did she come from?! He flipped the book closed and walked out of the bathroom. "What, you read while you pee?"

"Um, yeah."
"You're so weird."
"It's boring in there, so I entertain myself,"

I was right, she's weird! she's so fucking weird! He thought.

"What kind of language is that? I didn't understand a word." Mikasa stared at him as he handed her the book. "Greek, I guess..."

"But you speak English."
"Yes." Eren stared at her, waiting for her to continue, but that was it. Just, yes.

"I'd love to listen to those stories, I bet they're a lot more interesting than Mom's bedtime stories since you're so obsessed with them." Mikasa just nodded, maintaining her calm demeanor as always.