39. Broken Vows

Published on:
Sat, 18 Sep.
The year 2021

A/N: Thank you for being patient with me. I'm glad I was able to find the motivation to finish this chapter. It was stressful :(

Previously On Curse Of Latido:

Erwin surmised that Colonel Pixies was up to something. Levi learned that Petra had not killed anyone, he began to reconsider their situation with the water tribes and doubted the intentions of the fire lord. And while he was about to find answers from Petra, he fainted. Eren doubted that Armin's plan would ever work, they had a small argument and later that day Armin confronted him about his love for Mikasa which he completely denied. The team visited Lake Selene, Eren touched the crystals of the water tribes worriers and learned that the fire nation was the one that started the attack.

Chapter 39|Broken Vows

Eren stood in front of the lake. His eyes cast to the setting sun that dipped into a pool of red tangerine. A view that had always and everywhere followed the stitches of his heart.

The air was loose, softened his skin, carried soft murmurs to his ears. The lake seemed to call to him, forcing him to take the first step toward it. Closer, Eren. He listened to the wind.

Eren...

He approached the water and there his feet came to a stop. Before him lay a long-haired brunette in a loose burgundy shirt and gray baggy pants. He was sitting on the golden tracks of sand with his back to him.

Who is...? Where is everyone...? His gaze wandered around the deserted place. It was quiet, cold and empty, and he moved his legs toward the man.

Closer...

And closer...

And before he could touch him, the man turned his face to look at him, and his breath caught in his throat, his eyes wide open, staring...

At a living mirror of himself.

The wrinkles framing his eyes seemed to tell of the fleeing years of his life. Tired and lifeless, as if they bore the brunt of the world. His lips were chapped and his skin was pale.

Stumbling, Eren hit the ground, feeling his body bounce, but something held him in place. And the peaceful view of the sunset lake burned into a white flash of emptiness. Into nothing.

And that's when he woke up.

He blinked with his eyes half closed.

Another blink, and he began to discern his surroundings. His head on Mikasa's chest, moving in sync with her breathing in and out. The quiet pounding of her heart echoing ever so vividly in his ears.

Piles of cyanide-colored blankets on top of them, he felt drops of sweat roll down his neck and along his torso. He could feel that she had put some clothes on him as well.

His lungs took in a gulp of her soothing scent. Safe and warm, like the home he had been searching for all his life.

Muttering her name, he felt her adjust on the bed. "I'm here." She said, brushing away the few strands of hair that stuck to his neck.

"Mikasa." he muttered. His eyes fluttered open and closed the next second.

"Are you feeling any better? Your temperature has warmed a bit." She said softly, her fingers stroking traces on his scalp. Last night his body had been shivering in her arms for hours, and she ran her palms over the length of his arms and cold knuckles to warm them.