A Vow Of Forever (Part 3)

Published on:
Fri, 19 Aug
The year 2022

A/N: While reading this chapter, I recommend playing: [Yearning for Freedom - by Martin Czerny] on a loop.

Chapter 49 | A Vow Of Forever
(Part 3)

Getting off the ground, Eren coughed, flitting with his eyes here and there, looking for Mikasa among the helpless bodies lying on the ground. There were fire everywhere, it was so hot that it burned Eren's lungs and skin, but he kept going on despite the unbearable heat.

"Mikasa!" he shouted at the top of his lungs, turning round on his feet. "Mikasa!" He shouted again and again and several times, his vocal chords scraping, panic coursed through him as continued to run.

Then he saw her, slumped down next to some fallen logs of trees, bleeding heavily. She was struggling against a large branch piercing her lower chest, her face was contorted into an agonising grimace and sweat glistened over her face.

Sprinting as fast as he could, he crouched beside her, "No, no, no, hey, ...hey," Eren lifted her slightly into his arms, cradling her pale body.

Tears ran down his face unchecked, the heat around them was overpowering, and Eren had to hold her tight or else she would slip away from him. He looked desperately around, trying to find someone to help them, someone who would come and save them. "Hey, look at me, look at me... you're okay, you're alright, yeah? Yeah? Armin, where are you?! Armin! Pieck!"

He felt her cold hand on his cheek. "It's okay. I'm not going anywhere..." A soft whisper escaped Mikasa's lips as her thumb grazed his skin. Her voice barely audible over the raging flames around them. Smoke filled the air, scraping at their nostrils and dry thoats, and Mikasa's skin was covered in soot, dirt, sweat... The only thing keeping her from losing it completely was knowing that he was here with her.

He was holding her hand, and somehow that made it all a little easier to handle. She held tighter and focused on her breathing. It was ragged, shaky as she struggled for each exhale. She tried to speak again, but he could tell she was having trouble. She tried to move her other hand to cover her face and he caught her arm before she could.

Tears were streaming down her face now and deep down they both know this was the last time she'd be able to hide them. "I'm not going anywhere," her brows knitted, voice shaking from that lie, and still, she was shaking her head as if that would make more believable.

Eren's heart shattered into pieces when he heard her quiet broken whisper, it was enough to make him break down crying even harder. "Yeah, yeah, you're not, you're not... Armin will be here soon, he'll... he'll come, and... ARMIN!" He screamed over his shoulder.

"Eren, it's nothing... just a s-small wound, I-"
"Can you-" Eren sucked in a breath, biting his lower lip.  "C-Can you heal yourself?"

"Sorry." Mikasa's lips pursed as she tried to hold back her tears. "It's... it's not working with me."