16. Orphan Soldiers

Published on:
Sat, 10 Apr.
The year 2021

Chapter 16|Orphan Soldiers

The horse-drawn carriage hurtled through the dainty forest paths, thundering against the ground, and the rain showering their heads with hundreds of drops of despair. Mikasa knows it's over at this point. The waterbenders have the higher ground now that it is raining.

She thought of her neighbours in the small district where they lived, if they were still alive, or have managed to escape as they did. If they murdered their enemies before the rain, or are they being ripped into pieces at the present moment.

Is it strange that she empathized with her enemies that she watched them being slaughtered by her people? Maybe Grisha was right. Maybe they are the real monsters. No, wait. Carla was a waterbender, too, and she was a decent one. But Grisha murdered his wife without hesitation. The very fact that she was a waterbender gave him a valid reason to do so.

Mikasa's head clouded with billows of indignation and disarray as she hugged her knees to her chest. Was she now a traitor? Wasn't it her responsibility to protect her friends? And for what reason didn't that feel wrong? Now that she had chosen her circle, there was no turning back.

When they reached their camping destination, both Eren and Armin were placed on the mattresses with oxygen masks on, nurses kept pressing on their resuscitator bags until Mikasa sat outside the tent watching the doctors work to save her friends. A voice snatched her attention away, "They'll be fine, I promise." It was the blond soldier who had found them in the woods. Mikasa nodded, the smallest hope in her crying, wishing he would keep his promise. She blinked at the thought of realising she had lost her water bag. Her book and her things. She turned to the blond soldier. "Our things are still in the house."

He looked down at her and sighed. "Are they that important? You know it's a bit risky to go back there ..." Mikasa lowered her eyes, a grin making its way to her lips in disappointment. What a coward. Then why is he a soldier? "Alright." The man snorted as he noticed the disappointment on her face. He rubbed his head, his skin flushed, and a wine bottle hung in his other hand. "Then you'll just have to accompany me. Where do you live?"

Was he going to go like that? Drunk off his ass and barely concentrating. Who is actually protecting whom here? The man squatted down to her height and smiled, knowing why she had put off her answer until now. Her piercing gaze caused her to say nothing. "I'm not that drunk, little girl. Don't worry about it."

"At the Arlerts' residence. Grandfather Arl-," she said.

"Ex-chief Arlert?! Are you his granddaughter?" The soldier stared at her. It had been years since he had heard from his senior boss. Since the day he had received his sentence in court.

Mikasa pointed to the tent, "No, my friend in there is his grandson. We've been living with him since our parents died last month."

"Do you know where he is, child? Chief Arlert, do you know where he is now?" The mere thought of seeing him again just once made his heart pound loudly. It had been a long time. A very long time, but now he would finally meet him.

"Dead."

He gasped, his eyes sparkling before staring at the ground. Dead? "My great sir." He muttered, tears threatening to fall, but he held them back.

"On the battlefield ... While protecting his people." She guessed, for she hadn't actually seen him on the field, but Armin said so.

What an unfortunate encounter. The day he meets his leader will be the day he meets him dead. He looked at the wine bottle in his grip before throwing it behind his back. He will find his master's body and send it to the capital. Yes, he will find him and give him a burial worthy of his greatness.