17. The Girl From The Barn

Published on:
Tue, 13 Apr.
The year 2021

Chapter 17|The Girl From The Barn

The man waited for their answers, but none has spoken a word, not even a breath. His brow arched, 'Is it going to be that way? Very well. He knows how to catch a liar. "Everyone go and get your backpacks from the storage room!"

Eren and Mikasa exchanged glances as they followed the group to the storage room. The three of them stood in front of their bags that lay on the shelf. Mikasa's head was empty, she couldn't think straight, in fact she felt a little woozy that she squatted down holding her head in her hand. Both Eren and Armin, trying to think of a plan. What are they going to do? They couldn't just take anyone's bag, they would eventually know! And they can't lie either, because they were sure Hannes had sent a report on them from the moment he found them until he left them in the orphanage office. Then, out of nowhere, a thought popped into Eren's head, he grabbed his bag, squatted down to Mikasa and put it on her lap, "Take it." He whispered.

She scowled at him, "No! I won't let you!" How could he ask her something like that? "Shhh ... take it, Mikasa. Trust me."

Armin looked at Eren, wondering what he was up to. His eyes had that kind of look where he seemed to know what he was doing. Squeezing Mikasa's shoulder, Armin nodded, "Do what he says."

The soldier peered over the children's bags until his eyes stopped and spotted Eren with his bare hands. "You," he walked up to the little boy, "where's your bag?"

"I can't find it."

The man scoffed, now that his prey had fallen into his trap he could finally do his job and get his promotion, "What do you mean you can't find it?" He gestured surreptitiously to his guards to take him away.

Armin's grip tightened on Mikasa's wrist. Horrified and angry at the same time. This rat didn't even wait to hear from Eren, instead secretly ordering his men to take him away.

Mikasa clung to the hem of her skirt gritting her teeth to keep from screaming. What's going on? They thought he knew what he was doing! Is he sacrificing himself for her? No, Eren won't just give up like that! He must have thought of something!

Fidgeting, Eren tried to free himself from the guard's firm grip, shaking his body and kicking his feet upward in rebellion. His shoes scuffed against the wooden floorboards in violent protest. "It's not mine!" he roared in a hoarse and firm voice that made the man's face darken with doubt. A sly grin crept across Eren's face. Hell, he was sure the soldier had sensed it too. Now he was left with no choice but to ask for proof, which he'd gladly grant him, undisturbed.

Their eyes met, and a kind of challenging aura arose between them. Just the thought of losing to a small boy in presence of his men after giving such orders shook him to the core. His reputation, his entire career.... Could it be that he had screwed up this time? There was never a time had he ever said anything that turned out to be wrong. Yeah, the kid's certainly a liar. Something about his tone is provocative, maybe the way he looks him in the eye so shamelessly?

Cunningly, he gestured for the guard to take him away, blanking out any other thought in his head.

That sneaky son of a bitch! Eren jumped to his feet and whirled around in the air. The children flinched as red glow shot from his feet.

Lips pursed, eyes widened. His face flushed with embarrassment as he eyed everyone in the room to see their reactions, if anyone was looking at him in any disrespectful way. But if it's not the boy, whose ... whoes book is ...?

"Sir,"
He contorted his face to the fat lady who approached him, "A girl from chamber 104 says she saw Kallious waterbending in the horse stables yesterday morning." She whispered the last part, causing Armin to squint his eyes and try to read her lips.