9. Cards Revealed

Published on:
Sat, 27 Feb.
The year 2021

Chapter 9|Cards Revealed

Mikasa's palm pressed down on her glass of juice. The words shot into her core like a thunderclap. "What?" she blinked at him. Armin repeated himself, watching Mikasa squeeze over her glass. "You're a waterbender." She lowered her glass of juice and set it on her lap. "I'm not. What makes you think that?" Her throat felt dry, despite the juice she had drunk only seconds ago.

Armin set his lemonade down on the grass. "I'm not asking if you are, I'm telling you that you are a waterbender." Her breathing was heavy as she looked him in the eye. What was she supposed to do? Why can't she speak? She will only prove him right if she remains silent. Will he tell the principal? Will he attack her with his lemonade glass?

"Since you don't deny it. I think you agree too." Was that a trick! Did she just fall for it! How stupid!

"Armin-"
"I won't tell anyone." He smiled and took her hand in his, "I promise."

"Armin, you don't understand, I'm not-"
"I'm not telling anyone, Mikasa." He assured her.

Mikasa stared, just stared. His face didn't look deceptive at all, those bright eyes, that warm smile, even his words seemed sincere. As far as Mikasa could remember, Armin had never shown contempt for any people, but he was interested in learning about their culture and beliefs. Maybe he is telling the truth, maybe he doesn't even mind that she is a waterbender. Maybe there is still hope that her people might one day make peace with the Fire Nation.

"H-how long have you known?"

"Quite a long time, to be honest. But it doesn't matter now."

Her anxiety kicked in once again, "If Eren knew, he would -" Armin squeezed her hand, "I won't tell him, Mikasa. I know how much he detests waterbenders. But I won't let him know. I may be Eren's best friend, but, Mikasa, you are my best friend too."

Her eyes sparkled into his ocean blue ones, has he always been like this? Or is it the year they spent together that made him trust her somehow, despite her race? Mikasa pulled him into a hug, "Thank you."

Eren spotted his friends near the tree, so he walked up to them and saw Mikasa lying on her back in the grass, her eyes closed and relaxed. He stood before her head and leaned toward her, with his face above her. "What, are you playing dead?" She opened her eyes to his radiant smile. Her face was devoid of any emotion. "Would it make you happy if I died?"

Eren blinked, dumbfounded; he definitely hadn't meant it that way. "Of course not." What has gotten into her? Can't she take a joke?

For a second he felt that Armin was staring at them, but when he jerked his head, the blond hid his face behind his book and smiled. "What are you smiling for?"

"Nothing!"

Eren looked back and forth between Mikasa and Armin. Why did this suddenly feel so strange?

•◦•⊱✿⊰•◦•

Mikasa finished her geology class and strode out of the classroom when she saw Eren standing by her locker, his face lighting up a little when he saw her. "Finally! My feet were so close to breaking." She looked down at the floor and smiled as they both reached the exit.

"We'll pass by the bakery to pick Armin. He insisted to buy those buns you like."

Mikasa zoned out while Eren kept on talking. The idea that he was waiting for her class to end so they could go home together made her day. She appreciated that even if he complained about his feet, it didn't erase the fact that he was waiting for her. "How was class?"