40. Plan B

Published on:
Sun, 3 Oct.
The year 2021

Previously On Curse Of Latido:

Since his last swim in the lake, Eren had begun to see more visions. The team gathered the villagers and went to the nearest place where people lived. Levi let Porco leave with Pieck. He later learned the true form of the fire nation, that they were nothing but ruthless monsters and what's happening to them was nothing but a reflection of their actions. He broke his oath, let Petra escape, and renounced his land and his people.

A/N: Feel free to read the chapter on another day, for it's a bit long. :)

Chapter 40|Plan B

It had been three days since Levi had moved with the troops, wandering the land in search of a lost target. And, truth be told, they would not have found Hange without Yumi's help. It turned out that his little girl had a way with animals: they were helped by one wild creature, a large anteater with the body of a wolf, which could pick up smells from miles away.

And here it was sniffing around Levi's tent for a while.

He could hear the screech of its nose against the fabric of the tent, the sounds of its breath against the earth. Its beastly figure shadowing over the gray tent flaps, looking like a monster searching for food.

Chatters could be heard outside the tent. Come on, one more drag! yelled one of the men outside. Everyone seemed to be awake enough to disturb the peaceful morning like this, smoking cigarettes on empty stomachs.

Sitting down a few cushions, Levi brought his cup of tea to his mouth, the steam tingling his nose with honey and ginger aroma. He sighed contentedly and took a small sip to check the temperature.

Heavens, the taste was similar to the one Petra used to make for him in the morning, yet a little different.

Oh, Petra... He wondered where she had gone, if she was still alive or if someone had taken her away.

But it was only now that he remembered that she was a waterbender.

How stupid of him not to recognize her red hair. Of course. He scoffed, for she was the one who had treated his wounds when he had fallen down the hill.

Maybe they were even now, she had saved his life that time and he had saved hers.

He took another sip from his cup and closed his eyes, breathing in the warm steam. No... Not the one Petra used to make for him. He furrowed, inhaling the unpleasant smell of cigarettes that invaded his senses.

Recalling the feeling of pollution in his lungs, and the faded old memories invited themselves back into real colours... Right.

The ones Kenny used to make for him.

It all came flooding back, right at the back of his mind...

He remembered well the rock shelter Kenny had made for both of them that day. It was big enough for Kenny to call it a house.

A house that he always built whenever and wherever they went. And he always built it on top of every mountain they climbed, as if marking it as his property or something...

The grey sky flashed through his memory so vividly that he still remembered the faint golden light it carried, even though the sun had long since gone down...