36. The Runaways

Published on:
Tue, 17 Aug.
The year 2021

Previously On Curse Of Latido:

Armin let Annie escape. Eren fled with Mikasa. Porco killed Rony and ran off afterwards. Connie and Ymir attacked the firenation base and Hange earthbended.

Chapter 36|The Runaways

"I heard you've declared a halt to the water tribe attack, is that true?" Erwin was pacing the room here and there, and Levi was standing by the door with his back to the wall, arms crossed and the same flat look he always gave everyone was tediously displayed on his face.

Funny how just a month ago Levi was sitting at this very table, and now she was the one being questioned.

"I was planning to call a truce between us."

Erwin stopped and slapped his palm on the table. "And who are you to decide such a thing without consulting me!" His voice was loud and sharp, the kind he let out in battles.

"Erwin, I..." Hange shrunk but he shouted again and made her feel even smaller. "Chief Commander! It's Chief Commander!!!"

His voice echoed around everything within these four metal walls and into her, down to her bones and to the blood pounding in her ears.

Thick eyebrows with a much darker expression. Eyes of burning fire. She felt like crying, that having to address him not by his name but by his title made her think that everything that had happened in his office was just a game.

Of course it was a game...
He would, as always, side with the rules.

"You lied."

"I didn't lie to you. I..." His thick voice interrupted her. "Then where were you after the expedition? I was informed that you did not return with your crew."

"I ran into an old lady in the woods." Her voice was low, eyes downcast to the tabletop where her wrists were cuffed to its surface. "She was hurt and I offered to help, that's all."

"That's all." He nodded, patience dripping off of him. She glanced up and saw his narrowed eyes as he bent down to her eye level. "She's staying in the barn for treatment, but I've sent orders to have her transferred to a medical facility by tomorrow."

"Soldier!" Erwin looked at Levi, who opened the door and shouted for the man, who came up frankly and saluted. "Yes sir!"

"Go see if there's an old lady in the barn." And once the man had closed the door, Erwin turned back to Hange. "You let a stranger into the military base... Have you gone mad, Hange?! Surely you are aware of your situation?"

"I know that I've served the Fire Nation for seventeen years, never made a mistake or disobeyed orders--"

"-until yesterday."

"I saved you, Erwin. I saved our soldiers. You wouldn't have made it out alive--"

"If it wasn't for you-yes! Thanks to you! Thanks a lot!!! ... only," his voice dropped, "How am I supposed to get you out of this situation? You earthbent, Hange--before all of our superiors. Do you know what will happen to you now? You will be interrogated and then you will be sentenced to death! Do you understand!"

She frowned at her cuffed hands, gritting her teeth at a possible answer she might hear, before meeting his eyes again. "You want to let that happen?"

Levi straightened up. He looked at Hange, whose eyes were still fixed on Erwin's, and then at Erwin, who had yet to respond, "Erwin?"

"I have nothing to do. Unless you have a strong reason to defend yourself." Erwin straightened up and averted his gaze