18. The Library

Published on:
Sat, 17 Apr.
The year 2021

A/N: The trio just turned 18 years old

Chapter 18|The Library

Seven years of hardwork and sleepless nights had passed, one year at the military orphanage and six at the army. Hannes had paid them a couple of visits here and there. He told them they'll find rest once they attend the army as better quality of beds and food were served there but he was wrong again, they hadn't rested for a single day. Even their sleep were kind of exhausting, knowing that there is a murderer walking around and that anyone could kill them at any minute.

Many people had died since the day the lights first went out at the orphanage. The authorities had put all the Newby soldiers under surveillance, but the number of deaths had not stopped, not even for a single day, and every day they found one of them dead in the late hours of the night.

There was nothing they could do except double up on surveillance, and that made it difficult for Mikasa to keep up her waterbending training, just as it was for Armin. She had made the request a hundred times to change her roommate and share a room with Eren instead, but they had refused, even though she explained that Eren was family. She had been told that it was against the rules for men and women to share a room, and that she would get in trouble if she made the same request again.

Now it's only a week until their graduation. But that didn't stop Mikasa. She asked Eren's roommate, Franz to switch rooms with her and he quickly agreed when he knew her roommate was Hannah, despite the risks they both know they'd face.

Mikasa crept down the hallway in the night, the hood of her cloak pulled over her head so no one could tell if it was a lady or a man sneaking in the mere of the night. Her feet came to a stop when she saw the dark figure of a man at the other end of the hallway. Shit, it's coming this way.

Mikasa kept her head down as she walked past him, but he grabbed her by the arm, "Mikasa, it's me." Franz took off his hoodie and she released the breath she had been holding for a while. "What are you doing here? You were supposed to meet me at the library!" She hissed.

"Sorry, someone was already there." Franz ignited a fireball in his grip and watched the hallway as they spoke.
"Who?"
"I don't know, I just saw a faint light under the door." He took out the keys to his room, "Here. Mikasa, be careful."

Mikasa stared at his hand. Who could be in the library at this hour, in the middle of the night? He saw a dim light, which meant that the person in there was either using a candle or their own fire to see instead of turning on the light. "Mikasa?" She blinked and looked at him, "Have you changed your mind about changing rooms?"
"No, here." She handed him her keys, "you too, be careful."

Eren tossed and turned in his bed, still unable to find a comfortable sleeping position. He tried lying on his stomach, pressed the pillows under his face and closed his eyes, but opened them when he heard the click of the key in the door hole. Cold air rushed through the door before it closed. Something rumbled on the floor and the feeling of someone moving around the room awakened his senses, "Franz. Did it take you this long to deal with it?" Eren chuckled into the pillow, "what an animal."

He winced when he felt hands on his back, "Fuck! Hey, don't touch me, you fucking pervert."

"Eren, it's me."
Eren blinked, wait, he knows that voice. "Mikasa?" He turned on the lampshade and looked up at her, "What are you doing here?"