10. A Living Nightmare

Published on
Sat, 6 Mar.
The year 2021

Chapter 10|A Living Nightmare

Phil was about to attack Mikasa from behind when Eren's heat waves burned his arm, the flames tearing holes in his shirt as the man bended the fire from his red coat back in Eren's direction.

Eren shot it back at him purposefully. Mikasa is a waterbender! He recklessly shot flames in the direction of the man, who managed to block them all. Armin watched the grown man frown as he waved his arms in the air, sparks of white embers tickling his fingertips. He's going to summon lightning on Eren! Armin batted the man away with a wave of strong wind before he had even finished what he was doing as Eren snarled at Armin. What! Just what! Armin is ...! How did he-! Did he just-?!

Ignoring his shortness of breath and exhausted body, Eren continued to attack Phil with his hands and feet as he shot his furious flares at the man. His fire began to turn an even hotter shade of purple. The hot pulsing of his head sent veins shooting through his forehead. If only he could burn them the way he's beating this man. But he can't, and that made him even angrier.

Phil shielded his face from the fierce flames, his coat as well as his shirt falling to the ground as the flames turned the last piece of cloth into shards. His body glowed with burns. How in the world can this child firebend at this intense temperature! Impossible! He can never defeat the boy with his cold red fire! The man stepped back and raised his arms in front of his face as he took his stance, but Eren didn't wait, instead attacking the man's feet so that he fell screaming on his butt, with Eren on his head and a dagger at his neck grazing the man's throat. Phil stared at him as he shook.

With a sharp knife at his throat, he would now think carefully.

"I borrowed this dagger from my father, what a great father he is, isn't he? Raising a lousy little brat like me?"

The man froze as he realized what kind of dagger was right there at his throat. Any accidental scratch from it could deal a death blow to his life.

"What... Hey, kid-" he stammered, "we can fix this..."

"Eren, don't do it. Drop it, Eren!" Armin shouted from behind but his friend ignored him, his head was full of hate but then he heard her soft voice, "Eren..." he felt the pain and anger inside him again, it fueled his fire.

"Your brother lost his eyes because he attacked a girl," he tilted his head, "What do you think I should do to you for standing up for what he did?"

"Go ahead! Take my eyes away!"

Eren grinned, "I'm afraid I won't be taking any eyes today," he raised the dagger and plunged it into the man's chest. The man gasped as the poison coursed through his veins, his breath rattled, he exhaled abruptly, and his body shook as he struggled for breath.

"Don't worry, I'll give my condolences to your young brother." And with that, he took his last breath and pulled the dagger from the man's broad chest. He wiped it on the man's pants.

"Why?" Armin's voice drew his attention back, "Eren, why do you have your father's dagger in your pocket?" Eren glanced at his friend before breaking eye contact and fixing his eyes with Mikasa's, "For defense..." Mikasa looked to the ground, remembering her words from before. He put the dagger back in its sheath and tucked it in the back of his pants.

Eren bent down and dragged the dead man by his feet toward the water drain. Armin watched as his friend pulled the drain grate and tossed the body into the sewer pipe, which moved with the flow of water. He then walked past Mikasa to the other body that was stuck in the ice spikes. He spoke in a low tone, avoiding eye contact, "Get your water off him." Promptly, Mikasa bended the frozen water away as he pulled the body and dumped it into the sewer, putting the grate back in place.