Ova05. She's Family

Published on:
Mon, 17 Oct.
The year 2022

A/N: This Ova chapter takes place after Mikasa's first day stay at the Jaeger's residence. The chapter goes on it's flow of time through the actual existing chapters.

Ova05 | She's Family

"Eren?" The plate in Carla's grip clinked against the metal of the sink. "What are you doing here? You've got school tomorrow, go back to your bed."

A sigh escaped the little boy's mouth as he marched toward the small table and sat himself on the chair with an obvious thud. "Couldn't sleep." His voice low. "Mikasa's snoring like a truck."

A smile crept on Carla's lips as she continued doing the dishes. "Don't be rude. What if she heard you? She must be too exhausted for her to sleep like that, even your father does whenever he had a long day."

"Can I keep her?"

Irrelevant.

It came so fast though, that Carla stopped to look at her child.

Hands down on the table, back straight and two alarming eyes patiently waiting for a word from her.

"Keep... wha-"
"Mikasa." Eren was fast to reply again. It was as if it didn't even cost him a second thought. And there was this hint in his voice that told Carla he wasn't going to drop it until she says yes. And so she went on. "Mikasa probably has a family that's looking for her, Eren."

"But if we couldn't find them, can I keep her? Can she stay? She doesn't have anywhere to go. Mom, please?" He begged, not entirely sure why that sudden urge of wanting a girl he just met to stay. But all he knew at that moment was that he can't throw her back to the streets... to people like those damn soldiers with not a single whiff of conscience.

"Well, there is a place where children with no pare-"

"No!" The chair shrieked back, causing Carla's head to whip in his direction, perplexed. Eren hated the place from the bottom of his heart. Everyday to school, he would pass by the orphanage and take a peek through the thin wooden fences of the garden. Seletal boys and skinny little girls usually play by the swings.

Their bodies covered in tattered clothes, and the best of them would at least wear a garment that had patches all over to cover up the holes exposing their naked bodies. No. He wouldn't want that for Mikasa.

"You know it's not safe there. Please let her stay, mom. Convince dad, make him say yes. I'll take care of her, I promise."

And that was the first time Grisha ever heard Eren's voice softened for a girl he barely knew.

He was sitting in his study, listening silently, heavy brows shadowing his eyes as his frown grew deeper.

The newspapers in his grip. His eyes moving across the inked words, but they barely made it to his head. What's happening to his little boy? No, he doesn't like it. This unsettling feeling building up in his chest...

He doesn't like it.

And so it happens, what Eren wants in the end Grisha had astonishingly granted the permission. And Mikasa did stay. It was the happiest Eren could've ever gotten that he willingly gave up his favorite bed spot for her, shared all his toys and moreover, was okay with her wearing his favorite teal pajamas.

They would talk for hours until the blankets wrap itself around them and the lights go off, and even more until a fist bangs over their door and a scold from Carla could be heard from behind the thin board of wood.