13. Snakes Of Doubts

Published on:
Sat, 27 Mar.
The year 2021

Chapter 13|Snakes Of Doubts

"But why would he do that!" Eren kicked the chair to the floor, his toes thumping with pain but he didn't care.

"Put the chair back, Eren. What's wrong with you today?" Carla dropped the plate aside, looking at her child, "What's the problem with that? Your dad asked her to go to work with him and she agreed."

Hands shoved in his pockets, nervously pacing the kitchen, images of Mikasa being whipped on her back coiled around in his brain. Her battered skin, the red lines on her back. He shook his head, No! She's totally fine. Yes, there's no doubt about that, she can kick their asses off if they tried to hurt her...

He clenched his fists even more, his nails dug into his palms. But still, why would she agree to go with him? How stupid! He kicked the chair again, and it screeched against the floor, causing Carla to snarl at him, "You want to tell me what's wrong with you?" he heard his mother say as she turned off the faucet, and he sighed, dropping to the floor with his knees. "Mom, why would Mikasa go with Dad, don't we have school?!"

Carla grabbed a towel and dried her hand, "oh, about that, there's no school-"
"No school?!" He gawked. Information crowding dangerously into his head.

"Yes, a plague has ..."
"A plague!!!" Fingers buried into his hair. Carla frowned at the repeated interruptions, "it has spread across the city, and they've closed all the schools, only markets and hospitals are open."

The oxygen level had somehow dropped low in his brain. What a scene to wake up to in the morning. He was surprised he hadn't died of a heart attack, with all this information at once! Just how is Mikasa doing right now?

Carla returned to the kitchen fully dressed, causing her son to raise an eyebrow at her as he stood up, "Where are you going?"

"To the market," she held a scarf in front of her face and tied it over her head as a mask. "We need to buy this month's groceries and you're coming with me, so hurry up and change."

•◦•⊱✿⊰•◦•

Swinging her legs over the bench, Mikasa watched the soldiers come in and out of Grisha's office. It had been hours since she sat in this spot, her butt was starting to feel numb and she was getting bored. Why on earth had she agreed to come, she could have stayed home and shown Eren some of the new moves she had learned, yes, that would've been fun.... not this!

Grisha took off his glasses and cleaned the lenses with the tip of his uniform, "So, what do you think? Did you like it here?" The intense smell of ink permeated the room, leaving her no air to breathe. Although, Grisha seemed to be handling it quite well, probably immune to the smell. She rubbed her nose and shrugged, not particularly interested in his question. It would be abnormal for someone to enjoy being in a place where people were punished.

Grisha rubbed his eyes, exhausted from all the papers he'd been looking at for three hours straight. "You know when you get older you have to join the military and become a soldier. You need to know everything about our enemies and who we're fighting."

She stared at the man in horror, betting he had given Eren the same crap like that too. But what does he mean she has to join the military? She's never going to join the military out of her free will, is she? "Do I have to go there? I thought we had the free choice."

His lungs sucked in the air, back stretched against the chair. God, it felt like the old days when he was lecturing little Eren about their country's history, but how was he supposed to teach her everything when it was only a year until their military application. He thought he was done with this crap, apparently he had to go through this phase again.