50. The Girl In White

Published on
Tue, 23 Aug
The year 2022

A/N: I wrote the chapter while listening to [Play Dead by Ghostly Kisses] You can read the chapter while listening to it, too. Find it on Spotify, SoundCloud or Anghami. I personally download songs from illegal websites, lol.

Chapter 50 | The Girl In White

Coco soared the early tangerine sky with the squad on his back, flying his way to Selene's Village. Warm air caressed Eren's cheeks. His hair ruffled with the wind, eyes blinking down yet another new trails of silent tears as he stared blankly at the body of his beautiful Mikasa, lying inside a wooden coffin filled with water. You can't do this, Mikasa, come on open your eyes. Tears rolled down his chin. Laugh at my face and tell me I got you Eren... I got you, you idiot... I got you.

Pieck was doing her best trying to bring her back, but she knows well enough... everyone knows nothing was going to bring Mikasa back, not today...

Not tomorrow...

Not ever.

She was gone.

But not to Eren, no.

She's asleep. He repeated to himself over and over in his head and all the way. There's nothing wrong with her. She's just sleeping. She'll wake up soon.

It has been a few hours since they reached Lake Selene. Mikasa was laid down on a blue carpet, dressed in a silk white dress with her red scarf wrapped around her neck. And on his knees, Eren still sat there, unmoving as the sun began to set. His head on top of her non-beating heart, sniffling and shaking uncontrollably as he held her tighter to him.

Tears spilled from his eyes as he held his head against her chest, hoping to hear her heart beat one last time...

One more time, but there was nothing. He could hear nothing. She was dead. She was gone forever. And the mere thought of it made the tears pour harder than before. He didn't want it to be real. It couldn't be. How long have you been lying here? You've been sleeping for so long, please, wake up, please! He shook her desperately. His breathing became harsh as he sobbed into her chest. Please, please, please, just come back to me! Eren wanted to scream, but all that came out were choked off sobs.

"Eren?" He heard Armin's cracked voice beside him, snapping him out of his daze.

Heard him sigh quietly, then felt the warmth of Armin's hand on his shoulder, squeezing slightly for a brief moment before releasing. Eren leaned back then looked around and saw that everyone else had moved towards the lake, waiting for him at the shore.

Squeezing Mikasa's hands a little more, giving her one last look as if pleading for some sort of sign that she would come back, he then leaned in to press his lips against her cold, pale ones. One last soft kiss. He kissed her harder, brows furrowing and lips trembling and then he pulled back and let out a shaky breath.

Not caring to wipe his tears, Eren bent over and picked her up from the ground, carrying her cold body in his arms. With shaky hands and tearful eyes, his legs shook, but he walked on.

I'm sorry Mikasa.

This wasn't the aisle he promised to walk her down to. He glanced around, looking at the sad faces of their friends. Some had their hands by their sides and some others behind their backs. Heavy faces cast downward, and heads bowed down in sorrow.