25. In The Secret Of The Night

Published on:
Sat, 22 May.
The year 2021

A/N: Here's your bonus Update, I was in the mood to update twice today, don't know why... :)

Chapter 25|In The Secret Of The Night

Connie peered through the earth as rays of light crept through the small hole he had made in their ceiling. They had been traveling underground for the past few hours, without light. The wooden torches had burned out some time ago, and they had to make a hole in the earth to let in some light so they could see.

Porco rubbed two dry stones together and lit a spark of fire in a pair of wooden sticks. "Make an opening for the smoke, or we'll suffocate down here." He said.

Connie cracked a hole in the ceiling, revealing a glimpse of the white clear sky. "It's not raining today either." He muttered, leaning against the wall. The crackle of the sticks danced in his ears.

Porco left Connie alone and entered Ymir's room, where Connie had bended enough space for her to sleep in. He took a seat next to where they had laid her down, stroking her head with his hand.

Guilt.

If he could have arrived a little earlier, she might not have been struck by lightning.

Maybe his captain would have been kind enough to spare her. Yes, he knew he would have spared her... Levi might follow his commander's orders strictly, but he has a big heart, big enough to forgive, to spare chances for others, no matter who they are.

Sasha sat next to Connie. "How's your shoulder?" He glanced at her arm, where balls of steamed potatoes sat in her embrace.

"Where did you get those? You didn't go back and pick potatoes off the forest floor, did you?"

She nodded and held out her potato to him: "Would you like some?" He stared at her dumbfounded. She's kidding, right...? Connie accepted the potato from her hand, he took a bite and spoke as he chewed, "so, thanks to you we have enough food supply, huh...? guess we won't starve then."

"We'll be eating potatoes and carrots for a while." Sasha laughed. "If only there was meat, we could grill it with charcoal and sprinkle it with some herbs... ahhh!" She closed her eyes tightly, enjoying the iconic image in her mind. "So, why are you still here?" She heard him say and her eyes widened: "What do you mean?" Her voice came out in a whisper.

Connie rolled his eyes at her, and cocked a brow at her. "Sasha, are you a spy?"
She choked on her food, coughing hard that he patted on her back. "No!" She shouted in a whisper.

"Why are you here, then? Why were you here in the first place? It's not like this is your country."

"Shushh, please... !" Sasha glanced around nervously, pressing her palm over his mouth. "Your voice, lower it, you idiot!"

The ground beneath them suddenly shook. Sasha clung to his arm as the earth cracked open, and they rose from the ground into the exposed space.

"Here, now, speak..." he crossed his legs and laid his face on his palm, waiting...

She let go of his arm and cleared her throat, "I have nowhere to go. All I know is that I have to cope with you people, with this new life. I wanted to fit in... I'm scared and hiding... and..."

"Scared of what?" He took another bite of hjs potato as she continued to speak.
"Of the world. I was born to hide, Connie. Ever since I was a little girl, we've been taught to hide. Because if we were seen, it was game over."

"Who wants you killed?"

"Eh? Everyone! The fire nation, the earth kingdom, the water empire."

"Empire? You mean the water tribes?"