14

Not enough, level up

Soyoung propped up against her sunset red Volkswagen Polo, her roaming eyes halting on the person who was now walking in her direction

"Didn't think you would actually come" He asked, standing beside her with one hand resting on the hood of her car.

"Really, Hendery? My mom would kill me if she gets to know I'm ditching college for this" Soyoung rolled her eyes, turning to face him.

"This is definitely worth more than college- at least you can have what you desire" Hendery replied, staring ahead and she sighed out, nodding in agreement to those words.

"Now tell me, why was I called here?"
"You see, we have many recruits but very few make it through, you know why?" Soyoung shook her head in response, awaiting him to proceed.

"Rank. It's cause of their rank. You have no time to loosen up- constantly working on enhancing your skill and leveling up your rank. It keeps you on you toes all the time" He paused, glancing at the girl for a brief second before speaking up, "That is why a very few survive this- like those here today".

Soyoung nodded, "So.. does that mean Mark is ranked first amongst all the others?" She asked, curiously glancing at Hendery.

"No, he's not" Hendery answered while running his hands through his curly black hair.
"Huh? There is someone who can win over him in a race?" She uttered out, eyes slightly wide in amazement.

"Yes and it's not like he is the fastest either. Infact, he was recruited in for a whole different purpose"
"And that is?" Hendery raised his eyebrow at her question, reluctance flickering over his face before a slight grin drew onto his lips.

"Every one stepped in with different backgrounds and reasons. His is just another story" He replied and the girl nodded in acknowledgement.

"How could he not be the fastest I- wow" Soyoung trailed off- the race from last night still feeling evident as though she was still a part of the race at this very moment.

"Mark.. why ask for me?"

"Cause I wanted to give my newbie the best experience"

Recalling those words, she bit down on her lower lip to conceal the small smile that threatened to slip her lips.

"You would be surprised. It's the manager though, he holds the highest rank"
"Oh, oh" She nodded, taking a note of it in her mind.

"So, what is your story?" At his question, Soyoung exhaled out, pushing down the strange feelings that began rising up in the pit of her stomach.

"Freedom- an escape from the reality and a place that makes me feel like being myself" She replied in a hushed tone, reminding herself once again of her real intentions behind accepting to recruit in the first place.

"Freedom, huh?" Hendery muttered out, humming to himself at her response as he ran his fingers through the cold exterior of the car.

Silence prevailed as the two stared at their void surroundings of the arena before Hendery spoke up, deciding to break the stillness.

"You know why people retain only those who win the race and not the second, nor the third?"
"'Cause they are the winners" She replied, raising one of her shoulder to a shrug and he nodded.

"Right, they marked their place in the ranking.. and that's exactly what you will have to do as well" Hendery shifted his weight, leaning onto the other side.

"You have to survive this, Choi" Hendery stated, staring at the girl for her response.

"You're my recruit, you're now a part of us. You can't slack off- you are racing against time and I don't want anyone to look down on you, I can't afford that" Hendery added- tone hinting slight concern, his stern gaze fixated on the girl ahead.

Soyoung averted her head, pondering over his words, "But.. why? Hendery, I don't see why I have to mark my place here—"
"I didn't recruit you in for nothing. You-" Hendery interjected, lips parting to continue but nothing came out of his mouth- a sharp breath escaping before he pursed his lips together.

"You have to and that is that, end of discussion" Hendery concluded and before she could react, he turned around and walked away from her without another word being said.

A short one but I'll make up for it