9

Feel like I'm dreaming under this light
I want this passion to never stop

Feel like I'm dreaming under this lightI want this passion to never stop

"So.. how does it feel?" Hendery slightly spread his arms, gesturing towards the open area ahead.

Soyoung eyed the place, both were now at the familiar racing arena, "Huh? Uh, same?" She shrugged, quickening her pace to walk alongside him.

"It's your first time as a racer Choi, how about that?" He cocked a brow, sliding his hands in his pocket and she stared at him, mulling over his words.

Soyoung dropped her hand by her sides, "Not much. I.. don't even know what to expect though" She replied, giving him a quick glance as they walked past the grandstand.

Hendery simply nodded, stepping inside the plaza which was relatively empty in comparison to the other night.

"That's pretty common- every person in here," He raised a finger pointing around himself at the scattered groups of mass, "Probably felt the same at some point too" He offered her a small smile while propping his elbow against the white marbled counter-top.

"Am I really a part of.. all this?" Soyoung asked, tone holding a hint of disbelief and he let out a chuckle, "Yes, you are" He gave her a nod with a smile never wearing off his lips.

"Wow" She uttered out, letting her eyes scan her surroundings.

"I heard your name quite from a few- whom did you encounter the other night?"
"Just a few" She replied with a shrug, her gaze fixated on her hands, fingers fidgeting around.

"I see.." He nodded in acknowledgment, bringing their conversation to a pause.

"It's so empty.." She muttered to herself, eyes darting over to the exact spot on the elevated ground that she stood at that night.

The event still stood vivid in her mind- meeting Lucas at the party by chance, San hauling her into the arena, the bitter cold flurry of air that brushed her skin the moments she stepped into open area, the ideal racing circuit, the maze of spectators, the ear piercing yells and cheers, her conversation with Yeri, the long trail of exorbitant cars, the exhilarating race and Mark Lee.

Oh right, Mark.

Just at the thought, she subconsciously scanned the area for him only to spot his absence around and she sighed under her breath.

Soyoung was snapped out of her trance when she felt a small tap on her shoulder, turning to look at the person, "Maybe you should get to know the basics" Hendery began.

"About the races or the crowd?"
"Both"
Soyoung nodded, turning to face him as he began speaking.

"Firstly, racing is just a scrap of all that the underworld deals with. There's more but I don't think that's something you'll have to be apprised of, so, skip that. As for races- every Friday we conduct one, having people from other racing clubs contribute in but," He paused, "Our racers always sweep the board" A smug smile plastered on his face.

"And as for the racers, the spectrum is broad, so you'll spot new faces almost everyday. But now that you're one of us, there is a prime circle you should be acquainted with—" Soyoung raised a hand, inhaling deeply bringing him to an abrupt stop.

"Hold up! Slow, slow down. I kinda lost track of it somewhere in between" She breathed out with forehead creased, "Now that's too much info for my brain to take in" She stated, flailing her hands in the air.

Hendery laughed, "That's fine, a few days in and you'll have knowledge of everything. We shall go slow and steady, yeah?" He tilted his head to his side with an eyebrow raised, eying her expression and she nodded, "Sounds good".

"So... what next?" Soyoung asked, crossing her arms, "Well as of now, nothing" He clicked his tongue.

"We might have another race mid-week, not sure though" He answered, "Oh" She nodded, averting her gaze from him.

"I feel quite lost to be honest, it's concerning" Soyoung shook her head, standing up straight as her back pressed against the cold marble, "It doesn't matter- as long you know how to drive and insight into the races, you'll get the hang of it" He assured with a gentle pat on her shoulder.

"Since it's your first time, I recommend you to just go with the flow" He added, lightly swaying his head to the side in a nod as he spoke.

Soyoung hummed in response, shoulders slouched in relaxation at those words while Hendery stood beside her, eyes aimlessly wandering around as he waved his hands a few times, greeting random people in the room.

Soyoung cleared her throat, gaining his attention, "Umm, I believe there is someone who guides the new ones, right?"
"I recruited you in Choi, for the most time I want you to stick around with me- until I qualify you as a racer" Hendery stated with a complacent expression lingering on his face.
"Sure thing sir" Soyoung jokingly gave him a bow and the two laughed out subsequent.

"Now, that is some good chemi we share" Hendery remarked with a warm smile and she returned one before turning away to face her front.

"But on a serious note, if there is anyone else you might need assistance from it's Lee"
"Huh? Lee as in who?" Soyoung glanced at him with furrowed brows, bewildered.
"Mark Lee"

Not @ me writing this while listening to candle light sksks like the contrast in the vibe is just💀