41

It'sacruelgame
I cannotlose

Soyoung was beyond jittery and her spine laid as straight as an arrow against the black leather of the lush car seat- her teeth gnawing at her lower lip to keep herself composed and focused

Her hand gripping the steering wheel tightened, letting the tip of her fingers connect with her palm and nails imprinting delicate crescent moons onto her skin.

Three.

Her feet slightly lowered down on the throttle, revving the engine as it roared aloud amongst the other cars', upon remembering Hendery's instruction about how revving prior to a race assists the engine torque to be instantly available for acceleration and the car picks up its momentum quicker.

Two.

Her other hand set down engulfing the gear-head, her honey brown eyes unwavering on the flagger who examined from side-to-side before his stance straightened, indicating that the race was to start.

Why am I here?

She questioned herself, recalling the reason why she had accepted to join in Phoenix predominantly, and her jaw twitched in determination, raising her chin with gaze darting ahead.

One.

The very moment the white light illuminated from the flashlight, her foot fell on the pedal and the car jumped forward.

The car sprung into action under her touch, her eyes glimpsing at the GTR that was already speeding past hers and she cursed under her breath.

Her hand swiftly switched the gear, stepping up and the needle of the speedometer began sweeping numbers and her eyes watched as Chan's figure fell back, soon out of her sight and a smile was now drawn onto her face.

The car was pacing fast, soon it was over a hundred-and-five and she watched the treeline zoom and wipe out of her vicinity, everything looking like a blur. It felt so fast that her mind could barely wrap around things that were happening at the moment yet her eyes never pulled away from the road at her front.

The ascending numbers displayed on the dashboard made her suck in the fresh whiff of air that entered through the half-rolled window, almost out of breath, pressing her back onto the seat.

The adrenaline streaming through her veins, boosting her serotonin and her heart blundered in her ribcage, pulse palpating behind her ear and she exhaled out loud, not even realizing she had been holding her breath all along.