40

I can almost feel excitement flowing
through my deep blood

I can almost feel excitement flowingthrough my deep blood

D-day.

Soyoung hadn't even realized how the past days— 72 hours—just elapsed and much to her surprise, her ankle had recovered quicker than she had expected it to.

Soyoung sat in the room, staring at her own reflection in the mirror, "Is this the only dress you've got?" She asked, dropping her gaze onto the skintight, off-shoulder black dress that reached mid-thigh and the girl felt alarmingly uncomfortable.

It wasn't her first time wearing a dress but just the way it clung onto her body and the bothersome length made her feel edgy, not-so-pleased to wear the clothing.

"I should at least get a thank you" Yeri rolled her eyes, her hands that rested on Soyoung's upper arm guided her, spinning her around as she ranked her eyes over her from head-to-toe and the girl shifted awkwardly.

Soyoung tugged at the hem of the clothing, pulling it down but there was barely any difference since the girl was wider at her hips and the length was shortened much more than it should have when she agreed on the dress.

"Let's go" Yeri said, turning around and walking away without another word being said.

"Wha- wait!" Soyoung uttered, quickly slipping on the black flats that matched her dress perfectly, she rushed over to walk alongside the elder.

Yeri eyed her with puckered brows, "Just, it's kinda awkward walking alone, you know" Soyoung flailed her arms in the air in an awkward gesture with a smile on her face and the girl rolled her eyes, muttering something inaudible under her breath as the two made their way out.

The moment they stepped out and into the open with cars that were beginning to pull up at the start line, her heart thundered in her chest and she curled her fingers into her palm, trying to stay composed and not show any hint of the growing nervousness.

"That's you car for tonight" Soyoung's wandering eyes drifted over to the car Yeri was referring to and she froze- jaw dropped to the floor when she caught sight of the night-blue metallic Porsche 911 that shimmered under the dim fluorescent lights hanging above.

Yeri snapped her fingers infront of her face, ripping the girl out of her daze and she wordlessly blinked, realizing she had been staring without a blink of her eye for the last twenty seconds.

Yeri approached the car and Soyoung followed suit, watching as Hendery stepped out of the car and opening the door wide for the girl.

"Thanks" Soyoung muttered with a small smile, seating herself down in the driver seat.

Hendery places his hands on the ledge, looking at the girl through the un-rolled window, "It's a turbocharged engine, should give you the expected result" He said and the girl nodded, running her fingers over the cold-interior and the thought of driving something so extravagant on her very first race did not help her anxiety get any better.

"That's NOS- you are aware, yes" Soyoung nodded, glancing at the red button on her side, "The little blue flame from the exhaust when I press that, right?" She asked, not really experienced with using a nitrous except for being theoretically acknowledged.

Yeri peeked in, through the window, "That's just a myth, nothing so exciting" Her words made the girl slightly sink into her seat, shoulders slouching.

"Mood kill" She muttered out, rolling her eyes and Hendery let out a small chuckle, glad to know her remark hadn't been audible to Yeri.

"But bear in mind to keep it going for a max of 15 seconds at a stretch, nothing more if you don't want this car to burst into flames" His words made her wince, the memory of her garage ablaze still vivid in her mind and she shook her head, pushing those awful thoughts to the back of her mind.

Her eyes fell onto the crowd that was limited, just a few group of people belonging to other racing clubs scattered around the open space and she looked up at Hendery, "Why so less? Any restriction?" She asked, jerking her head to her side.

"Yeah, security purposes. We didn't want a mass in here" He answered and the girl nodded in acknowledgment.

The screeching sound of tyres reached her ears and she looked to her side, catching sight of the car that halted right beside hers and leaning forward, the figure moved into her vicinity.

There she spot Lee Chan seated against the leather with fingers curled around the steering, stance languid and eyes narrowed in focus, in his silver Nissan GTR.

"Chan?" She asked, directing her question towards Hendery with slightly wide-eyes and he nodded, "Yeah and let's say he's quite competitive. Lee always devises a strategy based on the opponent— you have seen him in your very first race, if you still remember" At that statement, Soyoung softly gasped in realization, recognizing the GTR as the one of the participants in the very first race, in the arena.

"It's your time to mark your place in here Soyoung" Hendery stated, offering a small smile and the girl nodded assuringly.

Soyoung was fully aware of how challenging it is for her to keep pace with such skilled and experienced racers as her opponents but she wanted this, the reason she agreed to step into this underworld was to feel the freedom that she was so desperately longing.

And there was no way she would fail to seize this opportunity.

Yeri briefly glanced outside and back at Hendery, giving his shoulder a quick tap with the back of her hand, "Let's go, the race is to start soon" The boy hummed in response and the girl did not linger around for any longer, parting her way.

Hendery straightened himself, ready to take his leave and she locked eyes with San who sat to her left in his lavish jet-black Bugatti, a smile dancing on his lips as always as his eyes remained ahead.

Soyung exhaled out loudly, grasping onto the steering wheel with her fingers and exerting herself to push aside her blundering heart as she noticed the flagger take his position ahead of the line.

A smirk drew onto her face at the mere thought of what it would feel like to race in a car like this and knowing it was all to happen in a few seconds, she couldn't withhold the excitement that swarm in her honey brown eyes.

"Hendery," She called out with eyes set ahead, "What do I get if I win?".

Hendery remained silent for a few seconds and the smirk on her lips grew wider, knowing he wasn't expecting such a question from her but nonetheless he answered- an answer that pleased her heart, hearing exactly what she wanted to.

"Anything you desire, Choi"

50k+ omg are you all kidding me?!

I can't believe this at all like this is my first book to reach 5ok this fast wth. I don't even know how to react cause I'm baffled to know SO many people read this book despite me updating once in a year 😭

Thank youuu and I love you all so much omg🥺♥️