20

Nyla

"you and Elena would get along together, mom."

I stand in front of my parent's graves for the first time since the burial. My hands buried in my pocket.

"she's so sweet. And she cares about Zay and I so we're ok... I'm scared." I admit wiping my eyes.

"I'm not ready, but if abort the baby it's gonna eat me alive... you guys would know why to do. What do I do?" I wipe my eyes and nose again, kicking the snow.

"I know Mateo's mentally preparing for this. But last night when we were talking I can see the fear in his eyes."

When we were heading back to the penthouse Mateo had one of his guards go get a couple more pregnancy tests.

I took them when we got back and they all came out positive.

We didn't talk about it for the rest of the night, but that tension was still there. The unsaid questions were there waiting to be said and answered.

"he'll be a good dad. He's good with Zay and his brother. But I know he's scared because of his disorders. I remember reading upon them. They're hereditary and it's scary to have as a parent. I know he's scared, but we're gonna get through it together."

Though Mateo's disorders are a few generations before him, there's still a chance our kid could have one.

"I think I should go now. I don't want to keep them waiting... I'm gonna get closure and then I'm never talking to them again." I tell my parents.

Mateo and I are going to the Hamptons to see my mother's parents. I've decided to give them a chance. Just before we leave on Saturday.

"I love you both. Very much. I'll make you both very proud." I say before leaving.

I walk through the cemetery towards the car where Mateo stands outside waiting.

"are you ready?" he asks, wrapping his arms around me.

"yeah." I nod. He kisses my head before opening the door and letting me get in the car.

Let's see how this goes.

___________________

"Nyla, thank you for accepting our invite." my grandmother says opening the door.

"thank you for the invite," I reply, stepping inside the house. Mateo holding my hand behind me.

"let me take your jackets for you." she offers. Mateo and I take our jackets off and hand them to her, she puts them in a closet off to the side.

"come this way," she says. We walk down a white-walled hallway. Framed pictures lining up the hall.

We reach the kitchen, which is filled with the scent of food.

"Nyla, Mateo, Boa Tarde." my grandfather greets. (good afternoon)

"Boa Tarde" I greet back

"Boa Tarde" Mateo greets. I taught him a few words before we left.

"you speak Portuguese?" my grandmother asks Mateo. "here sit down."

We sit at the table.

"uh, no." Mateo chuckle sheepishly "Nyla taught me a few words, but I plan to learn more."

"that's good. Let me go get my sons, they're here for the holidays. They would love to meet Nyla." she says before leaving.

"I made Bifanas. Quite a lot actually. We eat a lot here." my grandfather says bringing two big plates full of sandwiches.