31

Mateo

"Please stay." Zay's small hand grasps mine as I get up to leave his room.

"Everything ok, little man?" I crouch back down to his level. He lays in his queen size bed.

All the beds in the extra rooms were queen and we decided on just keeping the queen sized bed for Zay.

"My dreams came back and they always go away when you stay. Please stay." His small hand grasps my finger.

"Ok, little man." I climb onto the bed, that is too small for my size of body. Zay immediately lays on my chest, his hands moving to my t-shirt to grasp.

"I've got you. No one will hurt you." I rub his back.

"Is Mama Elena gonna be ok?" He questions.

My mom went into labour this morning and gave birth a few hours ago. My new baby sister, Mariana Alessia Bella James, is now present in the world and I'm super excited.

"Mama Elena is doing just fine. She can come home tomorrow." I tell him.

"That's good" a small yawn leaves his lips as I continue to rub his back.

Soon his hands relax and his breathing heavies.

"Goodnight, papa. I love you." He mumbles and I instantly tense.

4 out of 5 of those words have never left his mouth and were directed to me.

Zay being near my family all he's heard is "papa" but I've never expected him to say it.

"I love you too, little man." It could be a slip up and he's half in and half out of his dream.

Nyla and I have never talked about it and it's never crossed my mind before. Being seen as Zay's father figure is a big deal especially him addressing me as his dad.

I don't want Nyla to be hurt or mad. I don't want Zay to forget his real dad and I sure don't want to replace King.

"Teo?" The door to the room opens and I see Nyla's figure.

"I've been asked to stay. To keep away the bad guys." I tell Nyla as she climbs into the bed.

As she snuggles up beside me I can tell she feels how tense I am.

"Are you ok?" She questions.

I hate lying and hiding necessary and even unnecessary things from Nyla, so I decide to be up front with her.

"He called me 'papa'"

"He did?" She gasps and I nod.

"I'm not sure how to feel because I don't want to seem like I'm over stepping some kind of boundary, I don't want to seem like I'm replacing your dad, I don't want him to forget your dad either so I-"

Nyla cuts me off by placing her hand on my mouth.

"Baby it's fine. He's grown attached to you, he loves you and trusts you. At some point we'll have to tell him that it's somewhat weird to address you, his sister's boyfriend, as dad. But for now it's fine. It's cute." She mumbles.

I nod my head.

"Thank you." I kiss her hand.

"No, thank you."

________________

"Hi, Mari." I smile, holding my baby sister.

Black thin hair covers her head, her nose long but small like our dad's, her lips small in the same shape as our mothers.

"She's a girl version of you, Andreas. She looks exactly like you did when you were small." My mom says, wiping her eyes as we sit in the living room.

"She's so calm." Malik comments.

Malik has slowly become more and more excited to be an older brother as our mom's due date came around.

As I look at my little brother, I can see the love her has for our little sister. We're gonna do everything we can to protect her, to love her.

"Hold her." I nudge Malik. He looks at me unsure and I nod my head.

He fixes his arms so he can cradle her. I carefully hand him Mari, and watch a smile etched on his face.

"I need a picture." Mom says holding out her phone, taking a picture of Malik and Mari.

"She's so peaceful." Nyla says beside me.

"Malik and Mateo were the same way. Until they learned to walk. Mat gives me peaceful, but dramatic children." My mom playfully roles her eyes. We all chuckle because it's true.

"Mari is the first baby to be born in America out of all of us." Malik mumbles.

"That's true." Dad says with a smile.

"You're gonna be a handful, little Mari. But your brothers got your back." Malik assured her.

___________

"Zay hasn't stopped talking about a baby. He said 'mama Elena had a baby' every chance he got." Mrs Hopper tells.

"She did. Baby Mari! I can meet the baby!" He beams jumping up and down beside me, his hand holding mine.

"Yes, my baby sister." I nod

"Congratulations to you and your family... the office informed me about your family pulling Zay out of the school at the end of the month?" She questions

"Yes, we're moving to L.A. Nyla and I are attending school out there." I tell, picking up Zay as he tugged on my arm.

"That's great. All the best for you two, Zay will be missed by us and his friends. We'll see you tomorrow, have a great evening." Mrs Hopper says before closing the classroom door.

"Is the baby coming to L.A. With us?" Zay asks as we walk down the hall.

"Yes but she won't be living with us." I tell him.

"Can I be friends with baby Mari?"

"Yes, but you have to be gentle."

"Ok. I promise to be gentle." He nods

____________

"You're gonna have some friends soon, little Mari."

I decided to give my parents a break and help out Mari to sleep. After being showed off to family over FaceTime I'm sure she's exhausted.

"You three will be unstoppable." I smile, her eyes wide as she looks around.

"I'm so happy I'm your big brother. I'll be your guide to whatever and I'll always be there for you." I tell her as I rock in her rocking chair that my parents set up in her nursery.

"You're gonna do great things in this world. You're gonna be so spoiled and loved." I chuckle.

Her small hand latches onto my finger.

"I love you little Mari."

____________________________________

Short but cute 🥺