27

Mateo

"Mateo"

"Mateo"

"Mateo"

"hm?" I grab onto the small hands that are roaming around my face.

"Can you take me to school?" I feel Zay's small head on my chest.

"What time is it little man?" I ask him, my eyes still closed.

"6:45" he answers.

"ok, let's get you ready."

____________

"today's play day." Zay hands me a flyer from his bag as I get him dressed.

the flyer reads that the children can bring their bikes and scooters to school as they will spend all day outside.

"Good thing we dressed you in your shorts and polo," I say and he nods. the school gives students different kinds of uniforms. the younger kids don't have gym uniforms like us high schoolers.

"let's go downstairs and get some protein in your stomach," I say as I assure he has his homework from the night before in his bag.

As I stand up Zay's already running out of the room. I grab his sweater and running shoes and follow behind him.

I place his things at the bottom of the stairs before walking towards the kitchen. Zay's struggling to get onto the island chair so I pick him up and sit him down on the chair.

"what do you want to eat, little man?" I ask

"Pancakes, waffles and eggs," he says.

"Pancakes and waffles are the same things," I mumbled.

"I know. I still want them, please." he requests.

I take the pancakes and waffles out of the freezer. I then take one singular egg out of the fridge.

I put one waffle and one pancake into the toaster as the eggs cook on a frying pan.

Zay hums an unknown tune while waiting patiently.

I grab his avengers plate out of the cupboard along with the matching cup.

when the waffle and pancake spring out I put them onto the plate. a few minutes after I place the eggs onto the plate.

I cut the waffle and pancakes into small pieces before I give the plate to Zay. I go over to the fridge and take out the syrup and a can of Arizona sweet tea.

"don't tell Nyla I gave you some. today only." I whisper pouring a small amount of sweet tea into his cup.

"ok" he whispers back "thank you"

i go back into the fridge taking out his lunch back that my mom prepackaged the night before.

I know my mom misses packing lunches. she had lots of fun doing it when Malik and I were younger.

"I'll pack you some extra snacks in your bag since it's play day. and I'll give you another water bottle," i tell Zay as he eats. dancing at the joy of food going into his stomach.

once i have his lunch bag full packed, i lean against the island watching the three-year-old eat his breakfast.

"Mrs. Hopper said I was too smart for her class." Zay randomly tells

"is that so?" I quirk an eyebrow

"yes. I know my 2 times tables now. and also my 12 times table. I already had 5 and 10." he tells proudly.

"you're going to be super smart. you already are and one day your smartness is gonna take you places, little man. and every day until that day comes I'll be right by your side." I tell him