29

Nyla

"Feels like I'm watching a bunch of frat boys, party."

"they actually look like frat boys" i laugh with Mateo's girl cousins.

"Yeah, fifty rackies on me hangin' out the back of my pants
While I'm hangin' out the roof
I'ma put the burner on his ass, make him dance
Michael Jack, bust a move, yeah
I'ma scorch every motherfucker in the game
'Cause there's nothing left to do, yeah
Plus I got this vest on my body
So you know I'm feelin' bulletproof, yeah"

i watch my very drunk boyfriend shout every lyric to the Chase Atlantic song with his cousins and friends by the pool in a big circle.

"i'm gonna kill Adrian." i shake my head

"oh god." Violet, Mateo's cousin from his mom's side says with wide eyes.

I look towards the pool and see them all fall into the pool.

"Bitch, I'm bulletproof" they all shout when they come to the surface.

all the adults left hours ago before the sun had fully set. leaving us teens by ourselves, which was a questionable idea.

Mateo said he wasn't gonna drink too much, knowing that his medications get fucked up because of alcohol.

for the first few hours, he was fine, mostly drinking soda. but after we parted and I started talking to his girl cousins,  Adrian had taken him under his wing, and in an hour he was drunk.

Adrian even said he wouldn't let Mateo get too drunk, but obviously, that was a lie.

I don't mind that he's drunk since he's having fun. I'm just concerned for his health.

"Hi, my love. my beautiful girlfriend, my future wife, the woman of my dreams." Mateo plops his wet body next to me on the outdoor couch.

"Are you having fun?" I ask, watching as he's completely out of breath.

"oh ya. lots." he chuckles.

"And if I die tell my mumma that I died like a rockstar
Fuck a cop car, they will never catch us
Like a rockstar, living too fast, like a rockstar" Mateo sings at the top of his lungs, on the other side of the back yard, Malik shouts it.

"Adriano, you fucking idiot!" Camila, Adrian's sister, yells

"What?!" Adrian yells from the pool

"You got Malik drunk!" she points at the 14-year-old who has a bottle of vodka in his hand.

"Adrian, I'm gonna kill you." Mateo gets up, his eyes set on Adrian

"Cami, sweetie, I'm fine. I'm having fun." Malik smiles stumbling towards us.

we hear a big splash and Mateo's gone from beside me.

"Christ" I mumble under my breath when I see Mateo holding Adrian underwater. "Mateo!"

"nothing!" his head whips over to me, his hands coming up in defence.

Adrian comes up for air, stumbling.

"you three, come with us." Camila points at Malik, Mateo and Adrian.

I'm starting to like Camila.

____________

"i didn't mean to get too drunk, I'm sorry," Mateo says drinking his third bottle of water.

"you don't have to apologize. I'm just hoping you'll be ok." i tell him.