33

Mateo

June

Nyla's now 28 weeks pregnant and looks like she's about to pop. she always blames me and my height for how big she is, that our twins got the height.

we're sat in the courtyard of our house, having an escape from reality.

Nyla's enjoying her second book of the day and I'm playing video games on my switch. Zay's taking a literal escape from reality and is upstairs taking a nap.

we've found a charter school for him that is made especially for kids who are advanced. we think the program is great, especially since each student gets their own curriculum designed to help them learn at their own speed and capacity.

it's a great amount of money a year so it better be worth it.

"is this Zay's second nap?" Nyla asks

"yeah." i nod

"he's been asleep too long. his sleep schedule will be off." Nyla says.

"ok, I'll wake him up." i place my switch down on the table and it get, going back inside.

the interior of the house is decorated with black furniture, white walls, light wood plank floors. high ceilings throughout and each room having it's own personality to it, almost.

i go upstairs, walking down the hall towards Zay's room. all the upstairs lights off, letting in natural light.

I walk into the darkroom, soft music playing. We've found the music helps him stay asleep and even helps him fall asleep quicker.

"Zay, little man. gotta get up." i rub his back, turning off the music.

"no." he grumbles

"no's not the right words." i poke his sides

"I'm sorry. Just a little more time, please." He pulls his blanket over his head.

"Just a few and then you gotta get up." I continue to rub his back for a few minutes before I hear a paining groan.

"Nyla?!" I run to the window in Zay's room that watches over the courtyard.

"Contractions. I don't think they're false." She shakes her head, breathing in and out. "Call the mid-wife"

A few weeks ago Nyla had false contractions. We were both worried and scared, but then our mid-wife said it was fine and would only last a few days.

"What's wrong?" I hear Zay ask behind me.

"Nothings wrong little man. Come, take my hand." As soon as Zay latches onto my hand a I rush out of the room, dialling the number to our mid-wife.

"Mateo, is everything ok?" Linda asks when she picks up.

"Nyla. Her contractions started again." I say. I pick up Zay and rush down the stairs.

"How far apart?" She questions calmly.

Looking down at my watch as soon as I hear another paining groan. "6 minutes."

"They last how long?"

"50 seconds." I answer.

"Here little man. Watch a movie." I give Zay the IPad and place him in the living room.

"Has her water broke?" Linda questions

I rush outside and see a pool of water around Nyla's chair. "Yes"

"Ok, get someone to watch the toddler. Get to the hospital ask quickly as possible, Nyla's going into a very premature labour and we need to monitor her. I'll meet you at the hospital." Linda says, shuffling in the background