Bonus 2

Nyla

"Hi my sweet boy." I smile

Apollo's eyes squeeze before opening.

"Hi, mama's boy." He shows a faint toothless smile before closing his mouth.

"We have a couple weeks before you and Val can come home with us." I tell him.

It's been hard the past few months going home every night without my babies. But we've gotten used to it.

I pick him up and cradle him in my arms.

"Papa and Val already left. Maybe we can catch up to them." I tell him.

Now that the twins are starting to look like newborns it's easier to tell who they'll look like.

It's clear Apollo will look like Mateo, they have the same face shape, eye shape and even lips.

Val has my face shape and the rest of Mateo's attributes.

The twins are so small, Mateo can carry them both in one arm. He doesn't, but we tried it once.

As I walk down the hall towards the lounge I hear Mateo's deep voice talking.

"I promise to protect you, my beautiful girl. Papa's got you. Whatever you want he'll get it for you. You call papa and he'll be there. You tell papa anything and he'll keep it locked and safe. You're not happy and need a hug papa will give you as many as you want. You can't sleep, papa will stay until you can. He'll lay with you and keep you safe from all the monsters. You wanna get a tattoo papa will come with you... I got you, Val. Anyone messes with you, papa will ruin their or their parents life. I love you so much my beautiful girl. No one has you like your papa... and your brother of course."

I sniffle and Mateo turns around, looking at me. He has tears in his eye, but his voice never faltered.

"I'm sorry. Didn't mean to ruin your moment." I says quietly

"It's ok. Just a little chat." He wipes his eyes with the back of his hand. "I had one with Apollo yesterday. Just letting them know that I'm here for them no matter what."

He looks down at Valencia before covering his mouth, muffling a sob. "I'm scared. I'm so scared."

"My love. There's nothing to be afraid of. They know this, they know you." I tell him. I walk up to them and look down at our little girl.

She's looking up at Mateo. And though she can't make out who he is, she still knows who he is.

"I just don't want to fail them. I don't want them to be afraid, I want them to know who to come to when they feel lost." He says

"And they will. They always will. Just don't think you'll fail them."

___________

"Exactly that's what I'm saying... makes no sense."

I chuckle as I watch Mateo communicate with the kids though they're speaking in baby talk.

Val babbles before tugging on Mateo's hair.

"I know. It needs a cut. don't worry, it'll happen soon." He says

They're on the floor in the living room playing with toys.

The twins are old enough now to sit up on their own. They'll be a year old soon. It makes me so emotional sometimes when thinking about how fast they're growing.

"Uh oh, Roman god down." Mateo announces when Apollo tumbles over.

I stand in the kitchen watching them, while I snack on some strawberries. A smile on my face as I see smiles on my babies faces.