25

Mateo

"fuck you, Franklin. I was having a great nap, a great fucking nap." I groan walking down the stairs

"well, it's time for lunch. plus I don't think you want to miss this lunch," he says behind me

"of course I don't want to miss this lunch, my doctors would ki-" I cut myself off, stopping my walk before I enter the kitchen

I look down at my arm to make sure the fluid lines are still implanted.

"Franklin, did my doctors replace this with water?" I question

"nope"

"Are you real?" I ask

Nyla walks towards me and at first, I hesitate to step back but don't.

"more than real." she takes my hand and I let out a breath

"thank god." I pull her into a hug "thank fucking god" I bury my head in the crook of her neck.

"longest two weeks of my life." Nyla mumbles.

"where's Zay?" I ask

"he's at school." she answers pulling away.

I grab her face, smashing her lips into mine.

I've missed her lips. I never want to be away from them again.

we pull away and I immediately go back to having my head nestled in her neck.

her scent. the one that makes me feel so warm and safe inside.

the once that's become home.
____________

"another upsetting day." Zay's teacher tells Nyla

I stand behind the door, ready to surprise him.

"I'm sure tomorrow will be a better day," Nyla assures.

"hope so... have you thought about what we talked about yesterday? having someone here with Zay?" the teacher asks. I furrow my eyebrows, Zay needs assistance?

"still talking it through with our family, thank you, Mrs. Hopper," Nyla says before closing the door.

"Mateo!" Zay beams when he sees me. Nyla puts him down and in no time he's attacked my legs with a hug.

"Little man. I missed you." I pick him up.

"I missed you too." he sniffles as he rests his head on my shoulder, his arms wrapped around my neck.

"it's ok." I rub his back as we walk down the hall.

"you were gone for a long times," he says softly

"I know. I won't be gone for the long again," I assure him

"thank you." he sniffles and I chuckle softly at his politeness.

"you're welcome, little man"

_______________

"Avengers. . . Assemble." I don't care which movie, I don't care how many times I watch the movies and I don't care how old I am. those two words will get me excited.

Zay fell asleep in his bed as soon as we got home from his school and not too long after Nyla fell asleep.

she was in a mood and I didn't feel like pestering her, I just hope she's not mad at me in some way. she's sleeping on the other side of the bed instead of right beside me which is new.

I'm sure she isn't mad if she's still holding my hand.

I continue to watch the movie, watching as the first set of avengers fight through new york against Loki who's been sent to earth to retrieve the tesseract.