17

Mateo

"is Nyla ok?"

"Yeah, she's sleeping," I answer Briana's question.

"her dad's uncles were looking for you," Jordan tells me.

we're at her grandparent's house having a gathering. most of her family flew in from Trinidad or a different state. Nyla fell asleep in the limo during the burial and hasn't woken up since. she's breathing, though.

I made sure of that.

"why?" I ask, getting nervous all of a sudden.

"I don't know. . . one thing though, don't keep Trini's waiting. or they'll give you some shitty ass nickname," Jordan tells.

I walk from the stairs to the living room. most of her family are sitting or talking quietly.

"Mateo, come here." Nyla's grandfather calls me over.

he's sitting with a bunch of other men, all watching me like hawks.

Nyla's grandfather says something to the men in a different language, they're eyebrows raise in shock.

"yuh good? yuh lookin a little nervous, boy." one of the men comments. glasses perched on his nose, a black cap with the Trinidadian flag sitting on top of his head

"I'm not social." I shake my head.

"you work out? looking real heavy, boy." another one comments. this one's probably the skinniest out of all of them. his suit baggy around his frame

"yes, sir." I nod.

"how yuh grades looking?" the same one with the hat asks.

"straight As," I answer.

"real smart, yuh know. he graduates early with Nyla." Nyla's grandfather tells.

"where's yuh family from? yuh real pale, boy." a tall man in the rocking chair asks.

"Italy and Puerto Rico." I answer. Nyla has warned me about how blunt her truthful her family might be. I don't mind. my family's the same way

"he a real pretty pretty boy." the tall man in the rocking chair comments.

"yuh ever tried doubles?" the skinny one asks.

"yes, sir. Nyla made me try it," I answer.

"yuh like it ahwah?" he asks.

"yes, sir. it's good." I nod.

"he uses his manners yuh know. real nice." the one in the hat observes.

"How tall are you?" the one in the rocking chair asks.

"about 6 foot 10," I answer.

"yuh real tall. Giraffe," he exclaims.

"Mateo." I turn and see Nyla's grandmother calling me.

"yes, ma'am," I answer walking over to her.

"nothing. I was saving you from them. they'll talk your ears off." she squeezes my arm.

I chuckle.

"here, take this plate. there's pholourie with some tamarind sauce. go upstairs, stay with Nyla." she tells me, handing over a covered paper plate. I nod my head, thanking her.

I go upstairs, walking down the hall when I reach the top.

"Mateo." I hear a small voice call my name as I pass a room.

I turn around and see Zay sitting up on the bed, rubbing his eyes.

"Hey, little man." I walk into the room and sit beside him.