6

I'm currently in Nyla's room

I'm currently in Nyla's room. holding her hand. watching her breathe. like I have been for the past 3 weeks.

she's breathing on her own now.

and she's back to her regular weight, which is good.

"I'm sorry I came late, Tesoro." I sigh, she squeezes my hand.

"you're gonna be mad at me. but I haven't been taking my depressants . . . I know it's bad, but I'm fine. I'm fine." I lie.

"it's been 3 weeks. did you know that? I know it seems like a short amount of time for you, but these have been the 3 longest weeks of my life. I swear." I chuckle.

"I've had too much free time to think. like I've thought about children, marriage, my future, our future together. seems a little psychotic doesn't it? but, we've been together for 2 months now. well official for 2 months, so that's a big step. these last few months have gone by so quickly, it's almost Christmas." I ramble.

"oh and the school is letting us do exams after the break. we're officially graduates, though. so that's good." I look down at the floor, Nyla's hand still in mine.

"oh-" I look up but stop talking.

"what the fuck." I stand up when I make eye contact with Nyla. her eyes following mine as I stand up.

"holy shit." I panic and press the emergency button. but as soon as I press the button I hear the flatline.

I look up at the screen and see a green straight line.

"Nyla! Nyla! Nyla!" feel hands grab me and push me out of the room.

"Mr. James, sit down please." a male voice commands. I sit down in a random chair. my eyes wide as I breathe heavily.

"she's- she- i-" I look around frantically.

"breathe. everything will be ok." the nurse says.

"SHE JUST FUCKING FLATLINED! SHE'S NOT BREATHING! DON'T TELL ME EVERYTHING WILL BE OK!" I freak out. "she just flatlined." I tug on my hair.

an alarm goes off throughout the hospital. doctors and nurses run in and out of her room.

"CLEAR"

I thought about how one day we'll get married.

"CLEAR"

I thought about how one day she'll have my kids.

"CLEAR"

I thought about how one day we'll graduate with our degrees together.

"CLEAR"

every thought I had about my future has her in it. without her, there's no point.

"WE GOT SOMETHING!"