23. I Need You Too

❂ ❂ ❂ ❂

"This changes everything." He tells me with a smile plastered on his face, "No more running from spears. They'll be running from us now."

           He had taken one of the blankets I had found, and painted an x on it with the grease. He hung it in the doorway as a target.

           "Ready to be a badass, Princess?" He asks handing me a gun.

           "Do you know who you're taking to?" I ask him, "I already am one." I roll my eyes which causes him to chuckle, "Clarke is going to hate this."

           "We'll deal with her, later." He tells me waving the Clarke issue off, "We're lucky the rifles were packed in grease. The fact that they survived means we're not sitting ducks anymore. You need to learn how to do this."

           I nod my head. I place it against my shoulder and lift it up, it was pretty awkward feeling, "So, I just hold it on my shoulder? Like this?"

           He moves closer to me, "Yeah, just a little higher now, that end."

           He places a hand on my shoulder and another one down at the barrel of the gun, taking my hand as he does so. Electricity flows through me, and heat rises to my cheeks again. He raises the barrel of the gun up a little. But once he stops he doesn't move his hand, and I didn't want him to. His chest was pressed against my side, and all I could truly focus on in this moment was how complete and happy I felt when I was beside him. I turn my head to look at him, and I hadn't realized how close we were until then. My nose brushed his and once again I didn't mind.

           "Like this?" I ask, with a soft tone.

           For almost a second I thought I could feel him leaning in. And I was too. Then suddenly he pulled away from me, and he pulled away fast.

           "Yeah. Uh, that's good."

           The cold rush of air, causes a chill to run through my body. I couldn't help but back to the time on the lake, the almost kiss. Did he not want that anymore? Was he pulling away because I pushed him away?

"Watch and learn." He says picking up a gun.

I force myself to smile, and shove aside those feelings. Bellamy aimed the gun and pulled the trigger. It clicked but nothing happened.  He reloaded and tried again, but the same thing happened.

"Still watching." I sarcastically remark, with a small laugh.

"My bullets are duds. Try yours." He replies mechanically.

No banter, no comeback. Maybe I was reading too much into it but it felt like Bellamy was pulling away from me and I didn't like it. I frowned, but said nothing. I looked through the scope and aimed for the middle of the x. I pull the trigger and a loud bang echoes through the bunker the backfire startled me, and caused me to stagger back slightly. I saw a bullet hole a towards the left of the x. It was good but it wasn't perfect.

"That was awesome." I smile.

"You're not too bad, try again." He smiles back gesturing with his head to the gun.