13. Chancellor Of Earth

❂             ❂             ❂             ❂

By the time we had gotten back to camp it was once again dark. I was in the front of the group along with Clarke and Finn. Wells and Bellamy were behind us carrying the body.

"We've gotta get to Jasper. I'll need boiled water to make the medicine." I tell Clarke.

"I'll take care of that." Clarke says rushing off.

I walk further into camp holding the strap of my bag for dear life. I turn back and look as Bellamy and Wells lower Atoms body to the ground. They did it so delicately, like he was a China doll. Fragile. Bellamy's eyes met mine and there was a softness in them I had never seen before.

"Get Lacey whatever she needs." He commands.

A few of his boys come stalking over to me asking to help. I just hand them the bag of seaweed and send them in the drop ship to assist Clarke. Wells walks off muttering something about digging the grave. Octavia sees me and rushes over, trailing behind her is Elliot, Hunter, and Bea.

            "It's about damn time." Elliot says relief filling her voice. "They were gonna kill Jasper."

            "Did you get the medicine?" Octavia asks before I could respond to Elliot's comments.

            "Yeah." I breathe, locking eyes with Bea who gets my message and nods, "O, let's go talk."

            I take her hand in mine and try to pull her away from the body behind us. Bea takes her other arm, but she manages to wiggle out of our grasp. I try to catch her but she's already in front of Bellamy who is also attempting to stop her.

            "Octavia, just stay there. Please, stay back." He pleads.

            She ignores his pleas and pushes past him, thinking she can handle it. Bellamy looked over to me once again and both of us looked identical. Glossy and panicked eyes, both of us were trying to tell the other that we did the best we could to shield her from the horrific truth. But all of our attempts were useless, Octavia takes orders from no one.

            I look back down at her, finally breaking eye contact with Bellamy. She was crouched beside the body and showed no hesitation or wariness as she pulled the jacket away from his face. Gasps filled the camp. Octavia used one hand to cover her mouth and the other to cover his face back up, her hands were now shaking.

            "There was nothing I could do." He says desperation filling his voice.

            "Don't." She cuts him off bitterly.

            She slowly rises to her feet, pushing through the crowd trying to get back to the drop ship. Bellamy catches her arm, turning her towards him.

            "O. O, please." He begs.

            She rips her arm from his grasp and pushes past everyone in her way, heading straight to the drop ship. I look to Bellamy with sorry eyes, but he was already looking at me. He breaks eye contact first by looking to Murphy who had stepped closer to Bellamy.

            "Lose anyone here?" He asks.

            "No."