22. Extremely Evasive

❂ ❂ ❂ ❂

It has been two days since the storm and I hadn't talked to Bellamy since. Which meant no sleeping in his tent, which meant no sleep. I actually hadn't talked to anybody except Finn. I sat alone in my tree outside camp. Despite Miller's attempts to get me to stay inside the wall, he backed down once I threatened to kick his ass. The smell of the trees and the fact I was away from everyone else lightened my dark mood. I heard footsteps approaching. I pulled my knee closer to my chest hoping whoever it was would leave me alone.

"Lacey? You up there?" I heard Bea yell, to be honest out of all the people in the camp it could've been, I was glad it was her.

"Yeah." I answer loud enough so she could hear.

"Can I join?"

I shrug even though she can't see me, "Sure."

Within a minute she was on the platform in the middle of the tree with me. she sat with crossed legs looking at the different scratches I had made in the tree. She looks back at me sending me a small smile.

           "Are you okay?" She asks, "I heard about everything that happened."

           "I'm okay, I just haven't slept in two days and I like being up here because I'm away from everyone else."

           "Nightmares?"

           "Yeah, I just can't stop thinking about my dad, and Bellamy with the grounder." I explain leaning my head against the branch behind me.

           "Why does that bother you so much?"

           "It didn't bother you?"

           "Of course it bothered me. But you seem to be the person taking it the hardest other than Octavia. And we all know she's practically in love with the guy. What's your excuse?"

           "You'd understand if you knew how I grew up." I reply placing my head on my knees again.

           "Then tell me." She says, "I'm your friend, you can tell me anything right?"

           "Right, but I'll do you one better. I'll show you."

           She furrows her brow, but she doesn't stay confused once I turn around and lift up my shirt. I haven't been able to look at my scars back there in a long time, but I knew they were there and I knew there was an abundance of them. I felt her her hand graze one before she pulled my shirt back down. I turned back to face her and noticed how her eyes remained down. She didn't look up.

           "I'm sorry Lacey." She starts, she looks up at me, "Bellamy didn't know that. He also thought what he was doing was right."

           "So did my father." I state plainly.

           She nods again looking off before meeting my eyes again, "But there's a difference. Bellamy didn't want to hurt you, he wanted to save you, protect you. He was willing to do anything to do that. Your father wasn't."

           I chuckle, "And what makes you think that?"

           "Are you really that blind?" She laughs, "The way his looks at you, how he got scared when you disappeared with John, and how terrified he was at the thought of digging your grave. He has feelings for you."