11. Do The Honors

❂ ❂ ❂ ❂

            I was at the front of the group for a change. I was going to save Jasper, I knew I was. I trudged along quietly, by myself in front for a long time before Clarke managed to catch up. She heaves a heavy sigh, but I could still sense the irritation seeping through each breathe.

            "This is Earth, Clarke. Anything is possible." I heard her say in a mocking tone as if she was a five year old.

            I stay silent because I have no input on the matter, the only thing I cared about was finding the seaweed for Jasper. From behind me I hear a metal sounding clanging. I stop and peer over my shoulder to see Wells and Finn both staring down at something. Nobody said anything so I sighed and finally spoke up.

            "What is it?" I ask both curiosity and irritation seeping into my voice.

            "It's an automobile." Finn answers looking over at me.

            A small smile appears on my face, but I knew Jasper needed me, "Come on guys." I say and they look at me with a 'are you kidding me' expression, "This thing's been her for 100 years. It can wait, Jasper can't."

            I continued walking and I heard them follow. No one really spoke to each other. Each of us angry at someone, Clarke was mad at Wells, Wells at Finn for a comment about letting Clarke go, and I was mad at Finn. I don't really know who Finn was mad at but I don't really care either.

We passed through a line of trees entering a new cleaning I hadn't been to before. The ground turned to pebbles and a river flowed about twenty feet in front of me. We all walked closer and looked around waiting for the seaweed to jump up and slap us across the face.

"So, what does this seaweed look like?" Clarke finally says with irritation obviously present in her voice.

I watch as Wells eyes scan the water, before they land on something red floating in the water.

He pointed it out to everyone else, "Like that." Wells turns to Finn, "Hey, that thing that bit Octavia and Lacey, how big was it?"

"Big." Finn grabs his bag and squats down on the ground, "We could rig this into some kind of a net. Find something to lower it into the water." His gaze raises searching for something.

I let out a small sigh dropping my bag on the ground and walking into the water.

"Or we could just do that." I hear Finn mutter causing me to roll my eyes irritably.

It was waist deep but at this point I didn't care. I grabbed as much seaweed as I could and walked back over. Surprisingly I wasn't worried about the snake monster. Maybe I was just too pissed.

When I got back to everyone else, and before I had a chance to put the seaweed in Finn's bag we heard something. Squawking. Like birds squawking. All of us looked up and saw hundreds of birds flying towards us. We all ducked and covered holding our heads to try to protect ourselves.

"Let's get out of here." Wells says once the birds disappear.

            I quickly stuffed the seaweed into the bag Finn was holding out for me. Just as I finished doing that a low bellowing noise echoed through the forest. My eyes scanned the area but there was nothing, no one.