10. Sassy Pants

❂             ❂             ❂             ❂

I took the poultice off of Jaspers chest. There were red looking beads, I knew it was some kind of plant, but had no idea what it was. I was never any good at botany in earth skills. I also noticed his wound had been cauterize do to stop the bleeding. It made so much more sense now, he would've died if they hadn't done that.

"They-the grounders-they cauterized his wound. He would've bled out, he would've died." I say mostly to myself, but Monty, Finn, Hunter, Elliot, and Clarke were all listening, "They saved his life."

Elliot furrows her brow very confused by this statement, "But they are the ones that did this to him, why would they save him?"

"Maybe they never wanted to kill him." Hunter suggests.

"Because a spear through the chest means 'I don't want to kill you'?"

"I never said it was a perfect theory, sassy pants. It makes more sense than them trying to kill him and then saving him."

"They saved his life so they could string him up for live bait." Finn remarks, pausing for a minutes before adding a rhyme, "Garden of Eden this ain't."

"Thanks for the insight Poe." Elliot retorts.

"This is infected." I say again mostly to Clarke and to myself, "He could be septic."

"Any progress on using the wristbands to contact the Ark?" Clarke asks as a desperate plea, Monty sits silently looking at his best friend, his mutilated best friend, "Monty?"

Monty snaps back to reality  and meets Clarke's panicking eyes, "That would be a firm no."

"My mother would know what to do." She whispers.

Wells comes up the latter and stands next to Hunter, "How's he doing?"

"How does it look like he's doing, Wells?" Clarke hisses.

"Hey, I'm just trying to help."

"Clarke calm the hell down, you can't help anyone when you are this wound up." I state strictly, "You guys want to help? Hold him down."

I take my knife out and dip it into the small fire next to me. Everyone, except Monty, holds down a different part of his body. When the flame had touched every inch of the blade I remove it from the fire.

"I'm not gonna like this, am I?"

I shake my head. Without warning I begin cutting away the flesh that was infected. His screams pierced through my ear drums but I didn't stop. This would help him, even if it didn't feel or sound like it would.

"Hold him still." I command with a strong voice, "I need to cut away the infected flesh."

Jasper's eyes roll back and he passes out from the pain, which made my job a lot easier. I hear footsteps behind me, but I stay focused on what I'm doing.

"Stop it! You're killing him." Octavia shrieks.

I roll my eyes. People really need to stop doubting me. I literally lived in the medical bay for two years, I know what I'm doing.