Chapter 4

"So. . ."

"So?"

"I'm going on a date with Jisoo this weekend." Chaeyoung said sheepishly.

"Really?!" Despite feeling so hollow inside, Jennie was actually happy for her best friend. Chaeyoung has been on and off regarding the idea of dating a doctor for a while. She said she only has one heart and it was very fragile and she wasn't up for another heartbreak for whatever reason.

Lisa told her about how miserable and lonely Jisoo was since her messy broke up with Sojoo. Jennie thought that Jisoo was nice regardless the scandal. Besides, everybody deserved second chance. Jisoo made a terrible mistake didn't mean she was a terrible person. She had made it clear to the plastic surgeon about Chaeyoung and she would not push them to anything since it wasn't her business but she would not stay silently should the harmless texting happened again.

"Yeah, she seems fun." Chaeyoung blushed. "I mean, I'm not only looking for fun." She quickly added. "I'm not totally ready for serious – full commitment relationship yet but I won't play her. I swear I will not do that."

"I trust you, Chaeyoung." Jennie smiled reassuringly. "Have fun on your date! And don't forget to keep me update." She teased, earning the biggest grin from her friend.

They were discussing about outfits, what to do and not to do on Chaeyoung's date when Jennie's phone beeped on the table. She peeked the device, staring at it for a moment then sighed. Chaeyoung noticed the switch of the mood in an instant.

"What is it?" She asked.

"Lisa and I are fighting and she chooses to drink it off again rather than solve with me." Jennie tossed her phone after reading the text her wife sent. She looked away and bit her lips. "Here I thought she loves me."

"Jen, don't say that." Chaeyoung said softly. "Maybe she needs space."

"Or maybe she finally regrets marrying me because I can't give what she wants."

"Come on, you know her better than this." Her friend consoled her.

"I'm tired Chaeng," She finally shed a tear. "I can't always be the one who surrender and make peace when everything goes wrong. Does she even know how this pregnancy thing affects me? Does she even care?"

"Jen—"

"Whatever." Jennie wiped her tears. "She can have it her way. I have a court to attend." She grabbed her purse and documents as she stormed out the door, pressing whatever feeling was raging inside her chest.

---

The sound of the door handle made Jennie lifted her eyes from the book she was currently reading. She didn't move an inch although Lisa was persistently knocking the door, begging her to open up. She was pretending to be asleep. As much as she disliked the idea of sleeping alone, being in the same room with Lisa was too much right now. Her wife wasn't home last night because Sana took Lisa to her apartment. Jennie was angry and she had the right to be.

It was past midnight when the sleepiness finally kicked in. She closed her book, turned off the bad lamp and took the blanket to cover her body.

By the time Jennie woke up a few hours later, she was feeling better. She found Lisa with her mouth wide open on the couch, snoring lightly. She was still wearing her socks. There was snacks everywhere. The TV still on, showing the morning news.

Jennie sighed heavily.

No matter what, and despite her ego talking, Lisa was supposed to be her priority. She had bound herself to her wife after the holy vow she declared on their wedding. Yes, Lisa gave her approval regarding her career. She said she wouldn't have it any other way. Lisa didn't want Jennie to stay at home doing nothing. But job always came with responsibility. She never wished her case became so complicated and consumed all of her time and mind. Did she wish Lisa would understand that? Absolutely, yes. Nevertheless, Lisa was her wife and she needed her.