Chapter 27

Who love drama?

---

"I'm sorry if this is way too personal but I need to know the real reason for us to win this court."

The sixty years old man shrugged as he played with his nails. "We just don't click anymore. The romance had gone. What else can I say?"

"After thirty five years of marriage?"

"Are you married, Ms. Kim?" The man shifted on his seat, looking at Jennie as if she had no clue of how marriage worked.

Jennie lifted her right hand, showing the engagement and wedding ring. "Happily married with three children."

"Three? Wow." He shook his head in mocking gesture. "I have to say, it'll bite you in the ass in the future. I've been there, done that. I used to be proud of my family; my wife, my children. I have four – three daughters, one son, all have succeeded in their own career. Who made them for who they are now? Me. Did they remember that? No. I'm in a middle of a divorce. They didn't even call, too busy with the company, endless meeting, etc. It feels like it's all coming back to when I was a single man only lonelier and sadder."

"I'm sorry your story doesn't have a happy ending as you wished."

"Don't be. Because I'm not sorry. This is the best for everybody. Isn't it funny, though? I loved this woman, I gave her everything I had. Suddenly, I don't anymore. Suddenly, I can't even bear to be in the same room with her. That's just how life pulls a joke on you." The old man chuckled then stood up. "You are young, Ms. Kim, but I believe you're not that naïve. Especially with this line of work, you know how people can change drastically for their interest. Let me know for the court date. Good day, Ms. Kim."

After shaking hands out of politeness, Mr. Ok left the room leaving Jennie with an unsettling feeling.

---

"Well. . . Well. . . well if this is not Dr. Lalisa Manoban, world's most obsessive surgeon, I don't know who would've still worked at this hour."

Lisa looked up from her patient's chart before cracked a smile. "So the news is true. You're back."

"Years late, but I am." The woman grinned. "You haven't changed, I see."

"Uh. . .no, I don't usually stay this late at the hospital anymore. Surgery were very complicated, just finished a while ago and I have to re-check everything myself."

"I'm sorry for what happened. You must be traumatized by it."

"Yeah, I am." Lisa smiled tightly then closed the chart, taking it back to its place. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm a new anesthesiology resident. Hospital will be my first home till I finish this program."

"Four years, Minnie. It'll be over in four years." Lisa laughed at the pouting face. "You're on call tonight?"

"Yes. Got anything else to do?"

"Well, no b-"

"Wanna join me to light dinner? We can catch up a bit?"

Lisa glanced at her watch; 10:27 p.m. She had called her wife not to wait up. However, knowing Jennie, she'd still sit on the couch in the living room waiting for her.

"I have to go home." Lisa said apologetically.

"You're no fun. It's not even that late."

"My wife is waiting. We work at the same building. We can meet anytime. Lunch tomorrow?"

"Yeri is your wife now? Woah!"

"What? No!" Lisa shook her head vigorously. "She's not – we're not married. No! Oh my God! She and I are done long ago. We're not."