Chapter 33

"Why do you look so confuse?"

Lisa shoved the salad into her mouth and grimaced. She was not a big fan of grass. The thing was, the whole family had to eat vegan stuff for one day in a week. For a better health, Aorta said. Good reason, although not very enjoyable. Knowing everyone would object, the oldest boy decided to make a lunch box exclusively for vegan day for the family members. Lisa would cheat every once in a while but recently she had tried to bear it harder.

"My daughter got her first period this morning."

"I don't see why you must be so confused, though. You're an ob-gyn. It's your expertise."

"She bang on our door at dawn, crying out of the blue, saying she's dying because there's so much bleeding."

The cardio surgeon lifted her eyebrow. "Sasha said that? Like. . . for real?"

"Yeah." Sana sighed. "It took us two hours to calm her down. She demanded explanation on how on earth did it happen to her. Dahyun gave an illustration but it never reached a point. It made me confuse, too, actually. So I tried to do the speaking then I ended up explained it in the most specific way which made her even terrified."

"What did you say?"

"Nothing much, honestly." Sana avoided Lisa's eyes.

"Sana."

"The menstrual cycle, it's not much." She insisted.

"Start form ovarian cycle which consist follicular phase, ovulation, lut-"

"Okay, so it's too much. You don't have to point it out like that." The younger woman sulked. "I just don't know how to explain it, okay? It's the basic physiology of female reproductive system. It's constantly in my brain. I'm a doctor-"

"Talk to her like how you talk to your patients. You don't have to explain the process. As long as she understands that she's not dying and the process is normal, it's enough."

Sana only heaved a deep breath "How did you do it? You've done it, right?"

"We're started it way before they reached the age, Sana. It was around when they were eight, I guess? It was not my idea, it was Nini's. We discussed about it and we agreed to introduce the whole um. . . how do I say it? Human anatomy and its nature – especially the reproductive system. We want them to understand themselves, to explore more, to feel comfortable about their soul and body. It was not a big talk. We just explained the difference between boys and girls in general but we didn't restrict it. We let them wonder. Aorta and Artery were dumbstruck during it, meanwhile Venous asked a lot of questions because that's just how she is. Over the years, little by little the talk grows more and deeper. When Venous got her first period, she calmly spoke to us saying "I think I have my period. What do I do now?"

"Really?"

"Yeah. Then a few months later, Artery came to Jennie, I was not at home that time. . . he said that he's sorry for peeing on the bed but in the brighter side, it didn't smell like pee. Jennie laughed really hard when she told me that."

Sana laughed along. "He's so cute! What about Aorta?"

"He didn't tell us straight after. Probably around two months after."

"What did he say?"

"We were watching Miss Universe, right... when it showed the bikini photo shoot, he uncomfortably looked away. As always, Artery made a joke and he replied very seriously 'I'm a full-grown man.' It got us perplexed, afterwards he whispered 'I have to keep my eyes from beautiful women because they're beautiful and I do not want to think weird stuff.' Then Artery said 'you get wet dream seeing them?' Aorta's answer was a very quiet 'yes.'