Chapter 5

"Let me get this straight. You want to open up my chest to fix this valve or whatever?"

"That's the plan, yes, Mr. Park." The fifth year resident nodded. His face was calm even though his patient seemed nearly to swallow him whole. The other residents in the room stood still.

"Will it leave any scar?"

"Yes. Give it more or less ten centimeters."

"This is insane!" He shouted desperately. "You want to do a tiny little fixing on my heart but you have to open it that big?!"

"We need a clear view, Mr. Park. We work under standard protocol. Your procedure is no different with other people who get the same surgery."

"I want a TAVI." He said determined. "My friend as the same disease as I do. His doctor performed this TAVI on him. He has no scar."

"But TAVI is very risky. Do you really want to die because of stupid scar?" The resident scoffed. He had dealt with many types of patients, but this one was different and ridiculous. He didn't want the procedure but he wanted the surgery. The one he couldn't do because it'd affect his entire career.

"Dr. Hwang will take a look more into it, right, Dr. Hwang?" The attending gave him a sharp glare. He had no choice but to obey.

"Yes," He muttered quietly.

"That's more like it, Son." Mr. Park smirked victoriously. "Thank you, Doctor." He saluted Lisa with the strength he had, earning a small nod from her.

The Doctors made their way out to the nurse station. Lisa increased her brow at the guy expectantly.

"Dr. Manoban. The board is starting to stick their nose to every fifth year residents. What happen in the OR will cost my entire career. I can't fail now." He spoke lowly, implicitly asking for her consideration.

"Who else the fifth year resident?" She asked the residents on her service.

"Me, Doctor." A female resident hastily moved to the front.

"I've never seen you before." Lisa folded her arms with her impassive expression.

"I'm sorry I'm late, Doctor. Dr. Ahn asked me—"

"Excuses won't do anything good to me, Doctor – what is your name again?"

"Nancy McDonie, Doctor. I'm from Dong-A University Hospital. This is my first day on your service, Dr. Manoban." She quickly bowed. She had worked as a doctor for half of her life. Her attending back in her old hospital were no less scary. She was used to the constant pressure they gave. But Dr. Lalisa Manoban was very – very intimidating. Her figure could easily intimidate anyone, really.

"Sure." Lisa replied flatly. "Do you perhaps, despite the fact that you're late, know about Mr. Hae-joon Park's condition?"

"Yes, Dr. Manoban." Nancy started telling the attending the complete anamneses, physical examination and all the workups. She was grateful she managed to read all cardio patients charts the night before. She wouldn't be surprise if Dr. Manoban threw her out of her service just because she missed a patient. She was that kind of attending.

Heartless, she meant.

"Do you have any idea about TAVI?"

"Um-"

"Read about it? Watch? I doubt you ever perform this before," Lisa cut the resident.

"Um-"

"Give me something." Lisa glared at her.

"Well-"

"Oh Dear God, make it quick! I don't have all day."

"I've watched, Doctor. I mean I saw my attending did it before." She quickly answered before the volcano exploded.