Chapter 16

"Artery and Venous are in the lobby with Mom. Do you want to see them?"

"Yeah," Jennie stole a quick peck on the sleeping boy's cheek then slipped into the slippers. "How are they?"

"They miss Aorta and you. They've been asking you guys nonstop." Lisa answered as she checked the IV line. "Did you get any sleep last night?"

"I did." Jennie replied from bathroom. After washing her face and put a light make up on, she changed her clothes. "Did you?"

"At dawn but sleep nonetheless." Lisa approached Jennie slowly. Titling her head to the side, she spoke softly, "Aorta will be fine. He'll get better."

Jennie nodded but said no comment. The guilt had not left her alone. If only she caught the sign earlier, Aorta didn't have to suffer this condition. She thought his complain was nothing serious since it was not the first time. She was overconfident but her son was the one had to pay for her inconsiderate action.

"So stop blaming yourself."

Jennie clenched her jaw, "Easy for you to say. You weren't there. It's not your fault-"

"It's not yours either," Lisa interrupted gently. "It's okay."

"What is?!" Jennie hissed frustratingly. " I am his mother, Lisa. I should've known better than to dismiss his complain like it's not a big deal. Because it is a big deal."

Lisa looked at her wife sympathetically. She touched Jennie's cheek and caressed it tenderly. "Baby, unexpected things happen, it'll happen again in the future. But that doesn't make you a bad mother. No one blames you so please stop putting everything on your shoulder. They wouldn't ask for a better mother because you are the best."

Jennie enveloped Lisa's hand in hers. She closed her eyes, appreciating the gesture. Jennie sighed wearily. "I just never thought it'd come to this."

"So did I." The doctor pulled her wife into a warm hug. "We'll get through this together, alright? No more guilt. He's going to be fine."

Jennie didn't argue when Lisa asked her to go home that night. Fatigue had finally overcome her. She'd only put more trouble should she fall sick at the moment. After Aorta was asleep, she took her leave with Artery, Venous, and Lisa's parents.

Lisa looked up from her table, flashing a small smile to Seulgi when the general surgeon entered the room, then locked the device. "Why are you still here at this hour?" Since the night was already late and Seulgi was not the surgeon on call, she shouldn't be in the hospital.

"I have nothing to do at home. Thought I'd visit Aorta and get you some snack." Seulgi lifted the plastic bag. A well-known fast food brand printed on it. "Should we dig in?"

"Sure." Lisa grinned gratefully.

They ate in silence, engulfed in their own minds. The only sound that can be heard was the monitor beeping. Lisa stole a glance every now and then to the screen just in case his vital signs changed.

"Jennie didn't fight you tonight?"

"A little. But she'd tired. She knows it's not the best idea if she stays." Lisa licked her fingers, savoring the tasty treat. "Gosh, it's been so long since the last time I eat this meal."

"Why?"

"I have kids, Seul. I can't just eat whatever I want now. They love junk food, too, and Jennie is really strict with once a month, only on weekend rule."

"What?"

"We can only eat junk food for once a month on weekend," Lisa clarified. "I can have some at work but whenever I'm about to walk into the restaurant, I fell like I cheat somehow like. . . I can imagine their eyes judging me, you know?"