Chapter 15

It was almost five in the morning when Lisa reached Seoul. The phone in her grip moistened due to her sweaty palm. Jennie hadn't called her. It was a good sign. There should be nothing to worry.

Lisa walked rapidly to the pediatric ward. The sound of her suitcase's wheels broke the perfect silence. She didn't have the ID card with her. Good thing she remembered the access code.

Her resident and the pediatric on call showed her to Aorta's room. Lisa thanked the residents then pushed the door softly.

"Lisa?"

"Hey."

Jennie was sitting at the end of the bed. Tears were still evidence in her yes. When Lisa wrapped her in her arms, Jennie couldn't bear another breakdown. She was so scared and helpless. She wept in silence, holding Lisa tightly.

Lisa kissed the top on Jennie's head, assuring her everything would be fine. She looked at her boy sleeping innocently. A tear escaped at her corner of her eye imagining what he had to go through. She had breathed and lived in medical world in all her live. It never crossed her mind that someday medical device would terrify her. Those cables, IV line, nasal cannula, and monitor gave her a strange unfriendly sensation.

"He was fine, Lisa, I swear. He coughed sometimes, I gave him warm water to ease it and suddenly - suddenly he-"

"Shuush. . . it's okay, Baby. Things happen. He'll be okay. He's a strong boy."

"You didn't see, you weren't there, Lisa.. The seizure - it's - his lips were blue. I - I thought I lose him." Jennie stuttered between the sob. "I can't lose him, Lisa, do something."

"I will. I promise, I will." Lisa stroked Jennie's back gently. "I'm sorry I didn't pick up your phone right away. I feel asleep, I - I'm sorry you have to go through this alone. I'm so sorry."

"Just make sure he's okay."

Lisa nodded brokenheartedly. They stayed in silence for a while. Lisa felt Jennie's weight on her. She must be dead tired from stress and lack of sleep.

"Let's get you some sleep, Nini."

Jennie blinked, "did I fall asleep?"

"Yes, You go sleep. I'll watch him."

"No, no, I have to watch him, too."

"This is already too much for you," Lisa stared at those sad eyes intently. "Get some rest. We're a team, remember? I don't want you to get sick."

"But-"

"No buts, Baby. Come on." Lisa led her to smaller bed next to Aorta's. She took a blanket from the closet then covered Jennie in it. "Have you called Mom and Dad?"

" I have not," Jennie sighed wearily. "It didn't cross my mind."

"Okay, you sleep. I'm going to call them now see if they can pick Artery and Venous in the morning."

Lisa was about to stand up when Jennie grabbed her wrist. "He's my baby, Lisa. Help me, please..."

Lisa bent down and kissed Jennie's cheek. "I love you, all of you. Sleep, Nini, you'd feel better.  I won't let anything happen to him."

---

"The source of infection is from his lungs," Dr. Lee handed all the studies he had done. "Bronchopneumonia."

Lisa lifted the x-ray then sighed inwardly. "He complained about his throat two day ago. It escalated so quickly." Lisa mumbled lowly, frowning  why did she miss the symptoms. "So what's the plan?"