Chapter 24

She tried to not really think about it. Maybe, sometimes, this moment crossed her mind briefly. It was as confusing as she had imagined. The uneasiness was present, fairly thick in the air, but maybe it was the right time to end her resentment.

She had to move on.

"Thank you for agreeing to grab a coffee with me."

She nodded shortly then smiled. "How are you?"

"I'm good. You?"

"I'm good, too." Seulgi sipped the hot drink. She looked around her, smiled when she accidentally made an eye contact with her resident.

"It's been a while since the last time we've talked." Irene leaned on her back, watching the surgeon intently.

"Five years is a long time," she agreed.

The moment turned awkward. Neither knew what to say.

Personally for Seulgi, seeing Irene, actually sat face to face and had decent conversation with her was a courageous step. She realized it now, she had detested her ex for what she had done greatly. She was in denial for years. She had held in her belief that all relationships she was in and out didn't work simply because they were just not right. But the truth was, she was scared. What Irene did to her had left a remarkable scar.

The only way to stop it was to put an end to her disappointment. It was time to forgive.

"Are you seeing anyone, Seul?"

"Not at the moment, no. You?"

"No." Irene answered quietly. "I think I still hang up on you."

"What was that?"

"I did a stupid mistake, Seul. I was upset, angry because you barely there. And I know that was not an excuse but I never meant to hurt you. It was never my intention because I did - do love you."

Seulgi knitted her brows together. Irene said she loves her. After all these time?

"God knows how hard I try to get over you but I can't-"

"I forgive you." Seulgi wetted her lips. "I genuinely forgive you. I'm sorry for not being a perfect partner back then."

"What are you saying?"

"I hope we both can move on." Seulgi answered straightforwardly then took a deep breath. "I hope we both can give the next person our best shot. Let's put the past in the past, no more grudge."

"The next person?"

"We can't be together anymore, Irene. I mean, we can be friends, I promise I'll try to be there for you but I can't afford anymore than that."

Irene chuckled bitterly. "Well, I thought we're on the same page, guess not."

"Sometimes love is not enough," Seulgi shrugged. "I can't trust my heart on you anymore. That's the ugly truth."

"..."

"Listen, you're a good person, a good friend. But to build a solid relationship, we need more than that. I don't think I'm willing to risk it."

"..."

"Irene"

"Thank you for your time," Irene abruptly stood up, grabbing her purse and shouldered it. "I hope for the best for you, too."

Seulgi watched Irene's back disappeared around the corner. She scratched her temple, taking a deep breath. Somehow, her heart felt lighter, as if some burden evaporated and in the end, gone with the wind. She finally did it. She had succeeded letting Irene go.