Chapter 21

"He is found dead at the parking area."

"..."

"In his car."

"..."

"He shot himself on the head."

"..."

"Mr. Park is dead, Mrs. Kim. We're doing the autopsy as soon as the authority issues the warrant."

Jennie had heard that the first time loud and clear. She was not sure what to do or feel regarding this situation. She wanted to be happy that the person who had hurt the love of her life got what he deserved. But where's the justice? He was free just like that. He's dead, and what? What would happen next? He just left his mess and granted it to her to deal with it.

Why didn't he kill himself without harming her Lisa? Why didn't he follow his family and leave her Lisa alone if in the end, he's join them without hesitation? What was all of this about, a revenge that he didn't desire to win or just an irresistible decision at the moment?

Whatever his motives were, her Lisa was still in coma. Whether he alive or dead, her Lisa still couldn't breathe by herself. So it didn't matter to her. He could've gone straight to hell for all she cares.

---

Jennie stared at her reflection in the mirror. She watched herself crumbling down. She'd died thinking Lisa wouldn't be around. She was losing her mind. Her senses were numb. There was a huge hole in her soul, an unexplainable emptiness as she fathomed that Lisa might not able to make it out alive.

It had never really crossed her mind how substantial Lisa's presence to her being, how Lisa could easily take away her happiness, how Lisa's absence could destruct of her entire existence. She thought she'd always have Lisa by her side. Did she depend on Lisa too much? Was it normal to feel what she felt now?

All of sudden, she was alone in the deserted road. Her one and only companion left her just like that, without warning, without telling her how to survive. How was it possible for her to continue by herself? It was beyond believe that death could make a great impact on someone's life.

A touch on her hand startled her, interrupting her wandering mind.

"You're holding up the line, Jen." Gently, the intruder pulled Jennie from the sink as she flashed a quick smile to the people who had queued.

"ChaHee? What are you doing here?"

"Do you have a seat somehow?"

"No."

"Okay." Not letting Jennie's hand off of hers, ChaHee led the way to the nearest empty table. She withdrew the chair and let Jennie sat on it. "Coffee?"

"No, thanks, I'm not hungry."

"It's not a meal, Jen. Just a drink." ChaHee observed Jennie closely. The woman was unfocused. She couldn't blame her. She understood how Jennie felt at the moment. After all, they once lived together and she still cared about Jennie a lot.

"Oh, yes, um. . . okay, sure."

The taller woman ordered two latte while occasionally glancing at their table. Jennie was as blank as before. Her eyes were empty. She vacantly stared at far ahead. ChaHee exhaled a deep breath. Her heart broke watching Jennie like this. However, she couldn't help but wonder if the lawyer would act this way if she were the one in Lisa's position now.

It was funny to think that after years of not seeing each other, a piece of her heart still wanted Jennie. It was clear that Jennie never had a mutual feeling towards her. She was stupid to make Jennie moved in with her and persuaded her that she could change her mind. She should've known that Jennie was made not for her.