Chapter 29

The silence was deafening. Lisa refused to get closer, and when Jennie tried to shorten their distance, she moved away.

"Lis-"

"You never learn!" Lisa yelled making the other flinched. "How could you do this to me?! I trust you! Why did you do this behind my back?! Have not I done enough for you?!"

Jennie didn't say anything. She bit her upper lip, suppressing the tremble as she looked at her lover ranting like a mad woman.

"You know exactly what she wants from you. Why can't you see that, huh?! Are you really that blind?! She's trying to destroy us and you let her!"

"No, she's not. You're the one who try to break us apart." Her voice cracked when she said that.

"Did you hear yourself?!"

"Stop." Jennie exhaled a frustrated breath. "Stop yelling at me. The babies are asleep. I want to talk to you. This won't solve anything."

Lisa turned away. With her hands on her hips, she tried to keep herself together. Anger, disappointment and fear had fused into one. It was confusing and painful.

"Lisa, look at me, please. . ."

"I need a break." Lisa caressed her neck in attempt to ease the tension. "I'm a mess. I can't think. I don't want to hurt you."

"What do you mean break? You don't get a break in marriage, Lisa. Break means divorce. You – you can't possibly – no. Y – you –"

"No." Lisa lifted her head, facing the wall. "It's not that. I need time out. I need time to think and figure everything out."

"Do you still love me?"

"I do. This is not the best moment of our lives. Maybe, there are things that I have not understood about you, me. We'll work something on it but now, I want to be alone. Just let me be."

"You can't even look at me anymore." Her chest felt so heavy. The pressure was too much. She didn't know where Lisa stand. Explanation would be useless. She won't listen. Giving her what she wanted was the best option, at least for now. "So you'd walk out from this house? Or you want me to go?"

"Neither." Lisa held the doorknob. "I'm not willing to compromise my children. They don't deserve it. I'll take the spare room."

Then Lisa left. Jennie finally let the tears fell.

Was it really a huge mistake? She didn't do anything wrong. She never even had a meeting without other people in the room. She was being professional. She didn't cheat on Lisa. Why did Lisa accuse her, treat, blame her like the bad guy?

Maybe, Lisa didn't love and trust her as much as she claimed.

---

She had calmed down.

It was almost dawn and she was not even a little bit sleepy. It was horrible to lay on this bed – or any bed without her wife beside her. The emptiness was horrifying.

"You're the one who try to break us apart."

The more she thought about this specific sentence, the more confusion she got. Why her? She didn't do anything. The fault was not hers.

What did Jennie mean by that? Right, she probably should ask earlier. She was so angry wouldn't bother to hear Jennie's reason, to let her explain. The classic, stupid and selfish mistake she always made.

Lisa sighed as she turned to the left. Left was supposed to be Jennie's side of the bed. The unoccupied space trouble Lisa to no end. The other side of her, the gentle, soft, rational one had screamed to get her off the bed and be in where she should be – a room away from here, in Jennie's comfortable arms.