Chapter 36

SAM's POV

~After the broadway show~

It's late at night, barely 8 o'clock, and the city lights glow in the dark. By this time, several cars are parked in the parking deck. Most people will probably walk down to Times Square when it gets near midnight. We decided to get some grub for the night so started walking to the first restaurant that we find. The nearest place is called Gotham's Place, kinda weird, but we walk inside and instantly get hit with a cloud of cigarette smoke. We all cough and plug our noses. Where's the stupid waiter? There's nobody at the front to greet us, but we hear a whole bunch of noise coming from the doorway full of smoke to the right.

"Maybe this is a bad idea," Becca says while holding onto Khalil's arm.

"There's music coming from that room..." We were standing in like a little reception area, the walls were made of dark blue velvet. It was empty, and the only activity was coming from this doorway to our right. So being my curious self, I lead my friends through the curtain of door beads that hang above the doorway and into an enormous, loud, smokey room. 

We see people dancing on the floor below with glow sticks and party favors. I spot a bar and a few people sitting at tables eating their meals, away from the dance floor. "Aw, sookey-sookey now! This is what I'm talking about!" I yell.

"This isn't even a restaurant. It's a club," Jake says with worry in his voice.

"So? They have food. Look, there's a whole bunch of people eating at the tables," I reply.

"Maybe we can ask someone if they have a menu?" Khalil suggests.

"Are you condoning this?" Becca yells at him.

"It looks pretty fun. And if they have food, I'm eating," he replies with a shrug.

"So that's two against two. Come on, let's just check it out," I confidently say.

I walk down the long ramp toward the main floor with Khalil and the rest of them behind me. We have to wiggle around the couple that decided to make out on the wall, but we eventually make it to the bar. There's a really hairy guy with a big belly at the cash register behind the bar. I walk up to him with my head held high and act suave.

"Good evening, sir."

"Hello, ma'am," the bartender replies.

"Do you serve food here?"

"Yes, we do. How many people are in your party?"

I turn around and pretend to count my three friends. "Four total."

"Alright, I can show you to your table." The man walks from behind the bar and leads us to a round wooden table which is only about three feet away. He places two menus on the table while we sit down. "When you're ready to order, just signal for me." He walks back to the bar.

"This is not what I was picturing for a nice restaurant. It's so dark in here -- how do they expect us to see our food?!" Becca is complaining too much right now. I ignore her before I "accidentally" sock her in the face.

"Chicken wings, hamburgers, hot dogs, sandwiches... they got a decent menu. I think imma try some barbecue ribs and fries with...  a beer." Khalil smirks while checking out the menu.

"You're not old enough to drink," Becca glares at him.

"They don't know that. I'm only two years off, baby."

"It's illegal."

"My grandpa gave me beer when I was 12... it's not that bad. It's only one drink," Khalil assures her.